The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do!!! My guppy tank started leaking out of nowhere and I don't want to get rid of the beneficial bacteria that has developed over the past 2 months! I don't want to wake up in 4 hours and see that all my guppies are dead! Please, need solutions or suggestions ASAP!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I don't know what to do!!! My guppy tank started leaking out of nowhere and I don't want to get rid of the beneficial bacteria that has developed over the past 2 months! I don't want to wake up in 4 hours and see that all my guppies are dead! Please, need solutions or suggestions ASAP!
Get a bucket, put your filter media in the bucket along with water from your tank and anything alive in the tank. It will keep for a day or 2 while you go buy a new tank.

After that is taken care of a big question is why this tank is leaking. Is it a used tank or a new tank? If a new tank then most likely something is wrong with the stand as it really shouldn't leak. More details on the leak and the tank are needed to make sure this doesn't happen again.

·
Premium Member
75g, 40g, 20g
3,848 Posts
A small air stone in the bucket will also help with oxygenation of the water.

·
Banned
A ton of guppies, mystery snails, japanese trapdoor snails, ghost shrimp, & tons of plants in a 10G.
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a bucket, put your filter media in the bucket along with water from your tank and anything alive in the tank. It will keep for a day or 2 while you go buy a new tank.

After that is taken care of a big question is why this tank is leaking. Is it a used tank or a new tank? If a new tank then most likely something is wrong with the stand as it really shouldn't leak. More details on the leak and the tank are needed to make sure this doesn't happen again.
So I bought my tank brand new from Wal-Mart. It's the "Aqua Culture" 10 Gallon Starter Kit, and I haven't moved my tank in a month. The leak is coming from the side of the tank, somewhere from the top. I just don't know why it started leaking, as I have it on a level surface.

·
Registered
484 Posts
So I bought my tank brand new from Wal-Mart. It's the "Aqua Culture" 10 Gallon Starter Kit, and I haven't moved my tank in a month. The leak is coming from the side of the tank, somewhere from the top. I just don't know why it started leaking, as I have it on a level surface.
In my experience most tanks develop leaks because they are not supported properly around the circumference on a flat, planar surface.. which causes the tank to tweak when it is full of water and start tearing the glass away from the silicone sealer. It could be a bad tank that was tweaked before you bought it but those usually start having problems right away.

Before you setup a new tank what is your tank sitting on? Could you post a picture?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If your tank is leaking near the top, it might be water wicking from underneath the plastic trim if the tank water level is up that far or your filter or air stone is causing the water to agitate a bit and hit the trim.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: CRISIS AVERTED!

I got a new tank that thankfully ISN'T leaking this time! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.