The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So one of my tanks is in dire straights, the pH, KH, and GH are just way too high. My fish is weakened and ill from it, and now she won't eat. If I have to buy a RO filter later, I will, but for now I just need jugs of RO water. I checked the ones at my grocery store but they have things added back into them for flavor. I need to work my parameters down without going too fast that it'll hurt the fish.

I don't need any discussions asking whether or not I really need the RO water, or whether I should just go get a filter, I don't have time for much talk until after I get the water. I need it for small water changes to bring the parameters down over the next few weeks. My fish's health is not getting better, and for all my research, I still can't find buyable pure RO water.

So, does anyone know any brands of pure RO water?

Edit: I found out our store's purified drinking water mentions RO and the only ingredient is water--can I use this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Edit: I found out our store's purified drinking water mentions RO and the only ingredient is water--can I use this?

Drinking water produced by RO may be "remineralized" with a bit of calcium, magnesium, etc. in order to improve flavor, or it may not. In any event, it will likely have much lower levels of dissolved solids than your tap water, and therefore will be what you're looking for.

Also try Googling up "water store" + location. They're pretty popular out here in Phoenix metro, but I have no idea about your location.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Distilled water at a Target or Walmart might be cheaper, if you town has a dedicated saltwater fish store they sell Sometimes sell RO water to hobbyists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Walmart and many grocery stores have distilled/RO water dispensers at the front of the store near checkout. Usually can get prefilled 5G jugs. Another common company is Watermill, you can google them for locations near you.
Spring water is fine, I checked the Ozarka brand and TDS is only 15. For your dilution purposes this should work fine. I also used to use that specific brand to top off my guppy fry and betta tanks with no problems before I switched to the way more economical 5G jugs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, everyone! I found some purified drinking water at my grocery store that mentioned reverse osmosis, and didn't have any other additives. I thought they all had additives but it turns out the store brand doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts