The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an account under if_fishes_were_wishes but can't sign in.....I just noticed my brace cracking on my 55. I am freaking out! We leave out of town for 4 days for the holiday...what can I do? can it be braced somehow temporarily? glued? thank you for any help!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's starting to split...I'm terrified to leave! I hadn't noticed it til now. I have a 40 breeder on hand...I'm emptying water into it now to relieve the pressure some. I'm off to Petco to get a stand for it - I saw some 40 breeder stands online....I hope they have them in store too!!!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Weird, the 55G tank brace at my office is cracked kind of like that.

I got the tank from someone in the office and it was already like that and it's been fine for months and would seem it was fine for him for the years before that.

I probably wouldn't really worry about but that's just me. Also is there lights close to it? That's the only reason I can think of why the back of the tank is cracked not the front on the tank I got.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You don't want the brace on a 55 to break those tanks use thin glass and it will definitely bow out if it does break and possibly blow out if the silicone seals have been damaged at all (I worked at a couple pet stores and have seen it happen) not sure why they break but they do, the clamp from home depot is a great idea it doesn't take much pressure to keep from Bowing.

Len

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was wondering if there was a clamp that big! We are leaving out of town for 4 days....so I bought a new 55. The split happened so suddenly and the glass was bowing so noticeably, I figured that'd be the best thing to do....What price peace of mind? $110. Yeah, I wish Petco had their $1/gallon sale, but I can rest easy now, so it was worth every penny.

Now I have a nice, new tank...so relieved. We had the old one for 5 years and it went through 5 moves! I guess it was tired and needed replacing anyways.

It took 4 hours to net fish, move plants into the 40, move old 55 off stand, place new 55 on stand, scoop gravel into new tank, transfer water from 40 to new tank, net fish, plant plants....just a nightmare!

Plus, I had left the heater plugged in - the tank was near empty. Ran back home after striking out at Petsmart (no 55s) to a burning smell and a toasted heater! So, now I have a nice, new heater too. Ugh.

Thank you for the suggestions - I was frantic!!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm so happy you resolved the problem to your satisfaction so you won't be worrying - I know how nerve-wracking it is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! I am so relieved I didn't come back from the holiday break to a broken tank, 55 gallons of water on the apartment floor, 40 dead fish...ugh, maybe even a fire from the heater? omg. I dodged a bullet!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts