The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 Emerald Rasboras they are very shy. Every time I come up to the tank they get spooked and hide behind the rocks. Anyways, when I first bought them they had no color. But once I brought them home they started to color up really nicely, except for one. I'm thinking maybe its a female? The color seems dull since I got the fish.

Anyways it's been about a couple weeks since I got them and now they colors aren't as bright as it used to be. My water parameters are unchanged from what I'm seeing. I did have some high nitrates so I did a 50% water change to reduce it, but haven't tested the water since. Are they stressed? Do I need to up the count? They seem to be feeding well every time I put in some flakes they come out and wait for it to float down to the middle of the tank. Also, the fish look a lot bigger since I got them.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I've kept those, and they were very shy for me as well. They like having lots of hiding places. Males are very strongly colored, and females have the same markings but are not as bright. You should see the female and a male in their little courtship dance like almost all the time. I'm pretty sure they lay a few eggs a day rather than a whole bunch all at once.

If your males are losing color, then yes I'm guessing it's stress. Maybe it's water quality? Maybe there's not enough cover? Maybe they're competing for the female? Maybe they need a few more weeks to settle in? I dunno.

Maybe you should get some more plants?

The care is similar to CPDs IME, except my CPDs weren't timid at all.

·
Registered
835 Posts
what temp is your water? Mine seem to liven up with cooler (around 76 degrees) water.

definitely check your nitrates as well, they're pretty sensitive, as with other small fish.

and lastly - I would add more (if possible) to help with the shyness. I have around 36 in my 120g, and they're still shy when I first approach the tank. After a few minutes of sitting and watching - they come out though. Probably just the nature of being a tiny, tiny fish.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My water temp is at 74 degrees now. Used to be at 76. I will double check my nitrates. I think one of the bigger fish is the female. Plays with the colorful one a lot.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Emerald Dwarf Rasboras are probably the most aggravating fish I've ever owned. Also the most skittish. I had 6 in a 7 gallon tank, and even with an smaller species of dither fish in there, I could never see them. Fast forward a bit, I hadn't seen them in weeks, thought they were dead, and so I got a dwarf gourami to replace them. Naturally, out pop 5 of the rasboras, perfectly healthy, and simply mildly annoyed they had a new tankmate that wanted their space. They weren't even slightly stressed about him, just annoyed about real estate.

Ever since I got the gourami I've had no trouble spotting them out and about, even multiple of them coming out of the plants to poke around. I don't know what it is about the gourami, but that's what it took for mine to become visible.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I got them because of their colors. Got rid of my Zebra Danios for them... But now I feel like I should have went with something else because they hide more then my Honey Gourami, Otos, and Pygmys.

My HG comes up to the tank when I open up the lid thinking I'm going to feed him. He seems way happier that I got rid of the Danios though. Since the Emeralds are more calm. Lol.

Emerald Dwarf Rasboras are probably the most aggravating fish I've ever owned. Also the most skittish. I had 6 in a 7 gallon tank, and even with an smaller species of dither fish in there, I could never see them. Fast forward a bit, I hadn't seen them in weeks, thought they were dead, and so I got a dwarf gourami to replace them. Naturally, out pop 5 of the rasboras, perfectly healthy, and simply mildly annoyed they had a new tankmate that wanted their space. They weren't even slightly stressed about him, just annoyed about real estate.

Ever since I got the gourami I've had no trouble spotting them out and about, even multiple of them coming out of the plants to poke around. I don't know what it is about the gourami, but that's what it took for mine to become visible.
Bump:
what temp is your water? Mine seem to liven up with cooler (around 76 degrees) water.

definitely check your nitrates as well, they're pretty sensitive, as with other small fish.

and lastly - I would add more (if possible) to help with the shyness. I have around 36 in my 120g, and they're still shy when I first approach the tank. After a few minutes of sitting and watching - they come out though. Probably just the nature of being a tiny, tiny fish.
So, I checked my Nitrates. It's more in the orange range now. Closer to 20ppm on my color chart, probably not exactly 20ppm, but I know that it's in that color range. I'm sure when I do another 50% water change it'll be reduced more.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yeah, I got them because of their colors. Got rid of my Zebra Danios for them... But now I feel like I should have went with something else because they hide more then my Honey Gourami, Otos, and Pygmys.

My HG comes up to the tank when I open up the lid thinking I'm going to feed him. He seems way happier that I got rid of the Danios though. Since the Emeralds are more calm. Lol.
To make them EVEN MORE FRUSTRATING. I'm temporarily having to house 3 giant cories (the largest is just under 3" long, and huuuuge). The EDR don't care. Not even the slightest bit of skittishness, if anything they spend even more time out in the open. What the heck fish. I don't understand why you're so happy in a crowded, overstocked, smallish tank.

And yes, I do plan on moving the cories soon, I didn't plan on having them to begin with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.