The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eggs being laid right now!!!

How long till they hatch?

What about egg fertilization? when / how?

Some are stuck to leaves / glass and scattered around the substrate.
S I try to move them to hatching container over the next several hours?

Thanks for the help.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's Some short answers ... some might want to double check these facts with there experience.

Hatch out in 3 - 4 days.

Free swimming in 2 -3 days.

Still need to know how the eggs themselves are fertilized.

It was kind of cook watch "mom' carry the eggs around tk briefly with her anal fins and deposit the eggs in a "suitable" place.

They usually ended up on the tops of leaves and on the glass as opposed to the underside of leaves as I have read.

Many eggs are scattered in and around the gravel of the tank. It seems that the MTS are beginning to make short work of those eating them. I have seen other Emerald's eat the eggs as well I have about 50 collected in a breader box.

Any help would be great!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks for lookin'.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
hey congratz! Thats all pretty accurate info. I usually scrap the eggs off with an xacto knife and put them in a breeder net/box so no one eats them(if youre trying to keep the fry anyways). I've had 2 batches of peppered cory's and 2 batches of emerald as well in my 29 gallon and the fry are doing great. Thing to note is, not all those eggs get fertilized, any ones that get white are fungus'd. an antibiotic/fungus medicine is good if you have the eggs seperated from the main tank water and will keep the count high. For example, from 50 emerald cory eggs I saved with no treatment, I managed to get 4 fry. Other times i've been able to get at least half of the eggs to hatch. good luck ^^

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thing to note is, not all those eggs get fertilized, any ones that get white are fungus'd. an antibiotic/fungus medicine is good if you have the eggs seperated from the main tank water and will keep the count high.

I am trying to separate them now but from a very heavily planted 30 Gallon its a challenge at best.

About those meds you spoke of can you recomend something ... there is always a first time. :) :bounce:

Thanks for lookin'.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another method to keep the fungi from the unfertilized eggs from spreading is simply placing the eggs on something that floats near the surface under an air pump or near a flow that doesn't topple the eggs off the floating platform.

Once you have experience with breeding cories, you can immediately tell the difference between fertilized/unfertilized eggs. Fertilized eggs are completely clear and will darken over time while unfertilized eggs have milky spots and will turn completely white over time. If you can't tell the difference, using the above method and leaving the eggs alone for a day will give you a clear answer. The constant flow/oxygen will prevent the fungi from spreading.

Here is a picture of C. panda and C. duplicareus eggs after 24 hours. You can clearly see the distinction between the dead eggs and fertile ones:

This method works for smaller cories as well such as pygmies:

Once the cory has reached 1/2" to 3/4", I move the fish into the comm tank. At this size, it can fend for itself without being out competed for food:

Hope things go well for you,
-Epi

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that.

It's only been a few hours since the laying so we'll have to see in the morning what develops from these 50 or so and I can get an actual count then as well.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey will you ever sell your Corydoras duplicareus fry. I may want some I have a few but all but 2 of my larger ones died down 5 and 3 are babies.
Yes, however, I want you to check on a couple of things for yourself. Get to the bottom of why those fish died on you.

I mean it could have been that they were weak and sick from the LFS but who knows for sure but you.

Also, I may not be able to grow these out if the eggs were not fertilized. Barring that and should I be able to grow them to some reasonable size at least ½” then I have no problem. Only time will tell. As you may have read in this t one poster has had as many as 50 eggs and only able to get 4 fish from them. If that is the case then in all likelihood I will want to keep the four and obtain some additional fish to spread out the gene pool a little.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think fishboy was asking about the poster that said he had C. duplicareus or (corydorus adolfoi) Your corys are actually Brochis splendens. Corydorus duplicareus are not very commonly seen.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think fishboy was asking about the poster that said he had C. duplicareus or (corydorus adolfoi) Your corys are actually Brochis splendens. Corydorus duplicareus are not very commonly seen.

You know what, You're right. I read through that post blurry eyed late last night while strugling with my insomnia :proud:.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
482 Posts
I received my cories last year from the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2010 and was very pleased with them but unfortunatly out of my original six only two have survived. They died of unknown causes but was not becasue of me. My parameters were at what they should be. I believe that a few of them died as they would not eat.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I received my cories last year from the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2010 and was very pleased with them but unfortunatly out of my original six only two have survived. They died of unknown causes but was not becasue of me. My parameters were at what they should be. I believe that a few of them died as they would not eat.
Sorry about your fish. Alas, I do not have your breed of cory.

Just a brief view this morning of a few of the eggs I may only have 2 fertilized eggs. Time will tell.

Thank for lookin'.

Best wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Some Experience

I have Pygmy Cories that have spawned and hatched fry. Don't be surprised if multiple egg spawns have no fry. They disappered on me for a week, and soon found them resting on the play sand. They do like to stay hidden.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have Pygmy Cories that have spawned and hatched fry. Don't be surprised if multiple egg spawns have no fry. They disappered on me for a week, and soon found them resting on the play sand. They do like to stay hidden.
Right now I have about 50 eggs quarantined so there is no chance of cannibalism or consumption by other tank inhabitants.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I was curios as to how many eggs I really recovered from t0 Gallon tank.

The number was surprising not the fish could lay that many eggs … but I was so off in my original glancing estimation.

The actual count of Emerald Catfish eggs recovered yesterday is 167.

The two photos are they which I used to make the count and there are 5 not included in this shot at the bottom of the fry tank in which they are now housed.

The unretouched original photo.

The enhanced photo for counting with superinposed grid.

Looking at this image here is bad it was far better on my screen while I was using it.

Thanks for lookin’.

Best wishes,
Wes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.