The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have pictures of a school of them? Thinking about adding a group to my Tetra tank but am curious if they are more red or orange.

Craig

·
Registered
712 Posts
definitely more orange. if you are looking for red, ruby tetra may fit the bill. i find the embers school more and the rubys shoal.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Definitely orange, they are usually whitish orange at the stores, after a couple of months of healthy living in my tank, they turn gold fish orange.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
definitely more orange. if you are looking for red, ruby tetra may fit the bill. i find the embers school more and the rubys shoal.
Definitely orange, they are usually whitish orange at the stores, after a couple of months of healthy living in my tank, they turn gold fish orange.
Nope don't want more red as I have Cardinals and Robertsi Tetras with red. Thinking a group of 75 might look nice in my tank. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glo-lights definitely look orange or coppery in a school. They look drab at the store compared to other tetras, but once I got them one and they were in a planted tank and their colors became fully vibrant, they were lovely. Definitely an underrated fish!
If you get ember tetras, please post pics--like Craigthor says! Would love to see.

Oh, and I have some gold tetras. They're great, but their color is a light pale-lemon gold, especially under bright light. Very pretty but not a rich, dark color. And it's iridescent for sure.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Ember tetras are definitely orange looking but another choice if you're wanting a orange colored tetra is the Orange von rio tetra.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Craig, I have a dwindling group of old ember tetras but had a group of 60 when they were youngins. I've had many other tetras before and hands down for color in a large group, mature ember tetras are my all time favorite. They stay schooled and their color en-mass is stunning! The small group of about a dozen that I have left are now living in my discus tank and they are not afraid of the large discus either. Wish I had taken a pic so that you could see it but it WILL be an amazing addition to your tank.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Craig: Allow me to peer pressure you... DO IT. Just get them! :)

I saw a large bunch of them at a LFS yesterday and realized they're as beautiful and active as Chili Rasboras. And they school much more nicely.
I'll probably get some really trying to score a nice group of Hyphessobrycon 'Sunset' if I can get ahold of them right now. Embers are always available so getting them will probably be inevitable.

Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts