The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any foolproof, very simple, very safe way of adding CO2 to an aquarium, for people who dislike fiddling with technology and fear forgetting a step sometimes or doing something wrong?

I am very busy, lazy, and absent-minded, and I often do things like forgetting to turn off the filter when I am changing water. I also get unreasonably frustrated when I have to deal with complicated setups or very frequent maintenance. I much prefer my Emperor filters to the hang-on-back Aquaclears, because the Emperors always start right up again after water changes, but the Aquaclears sometimes shut down unexpectedly and require me to stop and take them apart and clear the impeller before starting again.

I absolutely love planted tanks and would love to have a lush, CO2 setup, but, franky, it terrifies me to have a pressurized tank in my house given my tendency toward absent-mindedness and making stupid mistakes. I also worry that I would resent any fiddling or special work it would take to manage one.

I was thinking/hoping that by the year 2021 some manufacturer would have come up with a very simple, foolproof CO2 system in a box. Something pre-made that you can just attach to your tank by following simple instructions. Something where the routine maintenance is very easy. In browsing on this topic, this doesn't seem to be the case. I thought I'd ask here anyway, though.

I love my low-tech tanks and will continue that way happily, but every once in a while I have this dream...

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
I also get unreasonably frustrated when I have to deal with complicated setups or very frequent maintenance.
I think you answered your own question.

A CO2 injected high tech tank is a complicated set up that requires frequent maintenance.

If you don't enjoy tinkering with equipment and getting your hands in the tank frequently it's probably not for you.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I recently got done setting up a co2 system in our greenhouse on campus and my daily maintenance has been: 1. look at drop checker for proper color (lime green), 2. count bubbles per second in bubble counter, 3. check regulator working pressure (set to 25 PSI). All of this takes about 1 minute. The actual fiddling part was at the very beginning when I pieced together all the components on the co2 system and checked for leaks, but you could get a complete setup made by Bettatail here, and he could send it to you fully assembled so no fiddling would be required. That being said, it is in your best interest to know how to assemble the regulator pieces if anything needs to be changed later. If you have no aptitude for tinkering, just avoid co2 injection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is there any foolproof, very simple, very safe way of adding CO2 to an aquarium, for people who dislike fiddling with technology and fear forgetting a step sometimes or doing something wrong?

I am very busy, lazy, and absent-minded, and I often do things like forgetting to turn off the filter when I am changing water. I also get unreasonably frustrated when I have to deal with complicated setups or very frequent maintenance. I much prefer my Emperor filters to the hang-on-back Aquaclears, because the Emperors always start right up again after water changes, but the Aquaclears sometimes shut down unexpectedly and require me to stop and take them apart and clear the impeller before starting again.

I absolutely love planted tanks and would love to have a lush, CO2 setup, but, franky, it terrifies me to have a pressurized tank in my house given my tendency toward absent-mindedness and making stupid mistakes. I also worry that I would resent any fiddling or special work it would take to manage one.

I was thinking/hoping that by the year 2021 some manufacturer would have come up with a very simple, foolproof CO2 system in a box. Something pre-made that you can just attach to your tank by following simple instructions. Something where the routine maintenance is very easy. In browsing on this topic, this doesn't seem to be the case. I thought I'd ask here anyway, though.

I love my low-tech tanks and will continue that way happily, but every once in a while I have this dream...
Go to greenleafaquarium.com and buy a GRO regulator, tubing, and a diffuser. buy a 5 lb co2 off Amazon and go get it filled. They send you instructions on how to set it up I did it and I’m an idiot. Then hook it to a kasa smart plug and it’ll turn on and off everyday you don’t really ever have to touch it maybe to adjust the flow once in awhile. Make sure if you want anything from GLA like ferts order it at the same time shipping is ridiculous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.