The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a wall space open in my office that needed an aquarium. The wall is 40" long and I wanted a mini reef or a planted tank. I was lucky enough to find one these beauties for sale and I purchased it. The aquarium had an overflow and sump when I purchased it, but I want to go the canister filter route. I removed the overflow box and the tank was moved into my office. I have most of the supplies to set it up, I just need to do some work to put in tile where and the aquarium is going to be, and put in hardwood flooring. I will be going the LED route for this aquarium. I believe the dimensions are 30x18x18. If anyone has suggestions for white led fixtures that can grow plants I'd appreciate them. I will be going with either a dutch planted tank or a jungle look. I have 4 bags of eco complete that I am contemplating on weather to use or go for a different substrate. I do already have a fluval 306 canister filter, but I might just sell it and go with an eheim 2217 or a Pro model. I am about 1-2 months before fish are swimming, but I thought i'd keep a record of my journey. I bought a BRS 5 Stage unit to keep my water soft for plants. I also have a GLA CO2 regulator with a 10# tank. Here are some pictures of what I gathered leading up to the build. I do have a few questions. I have 2 dosing pumps so I should probably dose with PPS PRO or use the EI Method? What is the best place to purchase driftwood for this size tank? hope you all enjoy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tom Barr (plantbrain) sells some great Manzanita (PM me or him directly for details). (Not a seller) review, I was very happy with mine. Just from a practical perspective and this being an office space. Do you have the time & space to keep up on the 50% weekly water changes for EI with the RO water?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies, I will have to check out his selection. The reason I went with an RODI is i wanted to keep my options open for breeding or saltwater. The office is just a room adjacent to my bedroom so it is located in our home. The RODI unit is located in the laundry room. I will try PPS method so i can reduce my water changes. Aquarium is only 40 gallons so 50% wouldn't be to bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I've been busy the last week! I am done with college for the summer and I decided to remodel my office space before the aquarium goes in. I installed hardwood flooring and I put tile where the aquarium is going. It looks awesome! I ordered Manzanita from Tom barr yesterday and I just placed an order for Eheim 2075. Hopefully it will be enough flow with an Craig's reactor to dissolve CO2 bubbles. I am contemplating on weather i should get buy heating cable for the substrate. My reasoning for this is because my office is usually 74-77F year round and I don't want to use an inline heater or have one submersed in the background of the tank. If I use a substrate one it will be hidden and it should provide a little boost in temp. What are your thoughts on this? Also, does anyone know any good links to articles of dutch tanks? Here are a couple pictures of my office as of now. The last picture is an open space of 15" where a shrimp low tech 12" cube is going to go in sometime soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! That's what I am afraid off. Starting of well then hitting a wall when it comes to scaping. If all fails I'll just go with more of a natural aquascape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nice set up man! Plantbrain has the nicest pieces of Manzanita I've seen.

I would go with ADA Aquasoil as a substrate, trust it's worth it IMO. You can find deals on Fleabay.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will probably stick with the eco since I bought 4 bags for 60 shipped to my door. I would like Amazonia it's just to much of a hassle to cycle with and it's hard to find

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.