The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Elodea isn't putting out roots. Ive tried planting 3 stems together, now I have planted each stem individually. I have Flourish tabs. Only 1 stem has sent out a couple of roots but not enough to hold it into the sand and not get knocked and float away. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
They grow tap roots while floating. Quite long ones at that. They form about every 3 or 4 inches at the bottom of new nodes.
When you plant those roots,they form root hairs.

I would float them until I have a few nodes like that. Cut them into individual plants, then plant them as a bunch(they look prettiest like that).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive seen some roots when new plants start growing off the stems but they seem to disappear. So will it not grow roots in substrate at all or is it just easier for the roots to grow floating?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I haven't had much luck rooting by just planting a stem. They seem to want to decide where the root must go.
But when I plant a piece with a decent tap root, it grows root hairs and grabs hold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Elodeas don't really feed through roots anyways, why do you need them to root? Are you trying to attach them to something? That said, some of mine have rooted even burried in substrate so I don't know what to tell you...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Also, you can take a small stone, I use a small river stone, and push it slightly in the sand next to the freshly rooted stem. If you want, you can put a stone on either side. This sometimes helps to keep it from being dislodged from the sand. After the plant has rooted, you can remove the stone if you wish. I do this with some stem plants, especially if my larger fish keep dislodging them before they have a chance to get rooted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They aren't too bad when they are about palm sized. Put a bigger one in a few weeks ago and he just smashed through them. He isn't aloud in this tank now. He can have plastic plants.

Here's the tank and the Elodea

How long should I let the tap roots get before trimming and planting? Have a couple at the moment that are just a couple of centimeters.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Picture does not indicate enough substrate depth for root's of near any plant's to anchor in.
With turtle in the tank(destructive),I would just let the stuff float and place some wood in the tank with anubia plant's attached. (lot's of anubia).
Turtle will easily uproot plant's in substrate.
If I insisted on plant's other than attached to wood like the anubia,I would consider planting the plant's in pot's two thirds full of plain top soil,and capped with fine gravel.
This in my view would give you best chance at plant's remaining rooted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My substrate is 3cm. Also Have Vallisneria and Hairgrass. The vall I used anchors until it grew enough roots to hold. Now it stays and is just shooting off runners. The hairgrass I don't expect to do well but they don't rip that up. I'll try the way mentioned and if that doesn't work then I'll just give up and maybe just put some vall there instead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.