The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some elodea/ anacharis from my LFS a couple weeks a go and they seemed to be fine despite being a little "leggy".

Now they are weak and look like very sad sticks with sad sprouts of translucent leaves. But they also have new growth on them. I had added some seachem flourish and excel as well as so liquid CO2, but stopped after I read that excel might harm the plants.

I also switch my lights to the Aqueon 50/50 bulb (10W/ 10,000K) for a short while to help photosynthesis. I switched to a 14W/ 5,000K bulb today to see if the higher wattage will help the plants a little.

I might try to cool my tank with a fan a bit since the water is well in to the 80's. but other than that, is there anything else I can try? Or is it too late for them? Also, just curious, is it okay to use the Aqueon bulbs?

the tank is a 5 gallon Marineland hex with a hood.

Thank you!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
So I got some elodea/ anacharis from my LFS a couple weeks a go and they seemed to be fine despite being a little "leggy".

Now they are weak and look like very sad sticks with sad sprouts of translucent leaves. But they also have new growth on them. I had added some seachem flourish and excel as well as so liquid CO2, but stopped after I read that excel might harm the plants.

I also switch my lights to the Aqueon 50/50 bulb (10W/ 10,000K) for a short while to help photosynthesis. I switched to a 14W/ 5,000K bulb today to see if the higher wattage will help the plants a little.

I might try to cool my tank with a fan a bit since the water is well in to the 80's. but other than that, is there anything else I can try? Or is it too late for them? Also, just curious, is it okay to use the Aqueon bulbs?

the tank is a 5 gallon Marineland hex with a hood.

Thank you!!
Hi Yomicchin,

Welcome to TPT!

Discontinue the Seachem Excel for a week or so and see if your new growth looks better; Elodea and several other species (Vallisneria, Ceratophyllum, Anacharis, others) do not do well when it is dosed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.