The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to completely get rid of clado from a low tech tank? I have a 15 gallon tank that currently just has a bunch of wisteria (no livestock besides the standard pond and ramshorn snails) with a small amount of clado. I would like to pretty it up, have some flame moss, and add some fish, but my experience tells me if I add moss while any clado (no matter how little) is still in the tank the moss is a goner.

Seems like people have had mixed results with the standard one-two punch or spot treatments. Has anyone successfully eliminated clado from their low tech tank? No livestock means I can go a bit harder than most standard treatments, but I'd like to maintain some of the biofilter if possible.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ughh, it's my nemesis! I've never been able to get rid of it
i tried h2o2, excel, and even bleaching the plants but it all failed
i just scrapped the tank and started all new.
Now I'm more conscious of the plants that go in my tank :(

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
API Algaefix. The main complaint about it is its impact on livestock, but you have none.
Have you used it on cladophora? I used it once on another tank for Spirogyra. It almost got rid of it all, but I had to hold back on the dosage for the sake of my fish and a little bit snuck out in some moss and survived, spreading virulently afterwards. Of course neither factor would be an issue in this situation assuming it actually does kill clado.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have you used it on cladophora? I used it once on another tank for Spirogyra. It almost got rid of it all, but I had to hold back on the dosage for the sake of my fish and a little bit snuck out in some moss and survived, spreading virulently afterwards. Of course neither factor would be an issue in this situation assuming it actually does kill clado.
I used it on some plants I traded for that had various types of string/hair algae. I didn't bother to identify them all. Most likely clado was included in the bunch, but I'm not certain.

In the following thread, the first poster said that algaefix had no impact on clado. Another post further down says the one-two punch does.

Algaefix -- Cladophora vs Spirogyra vs Oedogonium [Archive] - Aquariumlife

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.