The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased a brand new Elheim Pro 3 350Liter/90Gallon version and is making a rattling noise. I have seen other posts on multiple forums but so far fixes on other forums dont seem to be working well for mine.

The noise is only present when the input/output valve is open. As soon as I close the valve, the noise goes away. If I open the valve halfway, then the noise is reduced but still present. Ive heard that sometimes the nonreturn valve on the output is installed backwards. How do I tell if this valve is installed backwards.

Things I've tried:

1) So far I have tried tipping it in all directions to get rid of the air and seem to be getting rid of the air just fine but a few minutes after the air appears to be gone, the rattling noise comes back

2) I took the impeller assembly apart and inspected all the parts. The white ceramic shaft is intact, the magnet isnt damaged or chipped and the impeller blades seem to be balanced and in proper working order. The rubber bushings also seem to be holding just fine when its taken apart.

3) I took some vasoline and sealed up as many of the valves and connections as I could find. This seemed to help a little bit but I dont know why it helped or what part of the vasoline helped.

I would like to hear your input. Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Removing the air can be tricky sometimes. One time it'll work itself out almost instantly, the next time it might take a few days. If you tip it around and air bubbles come out it means you still have air.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hmmm, not sure but may just be a defective unit possibly? I have a Pro 3 e 2074 on my 90 gallon and have to touch it sometimes to make sure it's even running it's so quiet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed the rattle!!

Turns out it was the non return valve on the outflow pipe. I looked in and took some pliers and pulled the red thingy and the white thingy from the outflow pipe. I plugged it back in and it works like a dream. I cant even tell if the thing works without looking at the flow in the aquarium. Its perfect!!

Can anyone tell me why I shouldnt have taken this out?

I figure if the seals are holding, there shouldnt be any problem taking the non return valve out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts