The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this bad boy yesterday, love at first sight. Would appreciate some overall tips and feeding suggestions.

I will try to snap a shot of him tonight.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is this a true Elephant nose knife-fish (Sternarchorhynchus oxyrhynchus) or Peter's Elephant Nose (family Mormyridae)? People tend to miix up the names.

If this is a Peter's Elephant Nose, then I would say that this is a very finicky fish to keep.

They grow to be 20-30 cm in size so a 30G is minimum. These guys are also very very picky eaters. They emit electrical pulses that can make other fish uncomfortable.

Also they are scaleless and thus more susceptible to water conditions and medications.

In general, they're not considered great planted tank community fish (not in the sense that most members here on TPT stock their tanks).

Having said that, they're gorgeous and I do wish you luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks like the real deal. All I know about these guys are that they're very territorial and eat worms lol. Beautiful fish though - definitely an exotic by planted tank standards!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read thy eat at night, planning to add frozen bloodworms before sleep when lights are out.

I am cleaning the tank tomorrow and will try some better shots with a proper camera.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts