The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon ladies and jellyspoons!
I wasn't sure what forum to put this post so the Equipment groupies will have to put up with my queries

Has anyone done the math as to the amperage demand of aquariums? I'm asking this as I am setting up another tank in my house and only have 100 amp service. Should I be worried? Do I need to upgrade? I hope not:bounce:

I plan to have a 46gal and a 75gal with heaters, compact flor lights and eheim pumps etc

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
100amp is a standard residential service
100amps times 110volts is 11,000 watts.
as we are using more energy efficient
appliances, electronics and lighting,
this type of service is hardly stressed.

If you had a 300w heater, 260w fixture, 40w pump
that 600w is about the same power usage as a
standard 32" tube Television. keep in mind your
heater is not always on, and neither are your lights,
so your average consumption is less than half that.

so no, obviously your fish tank is hardly
making a dent in your electricity usage.
fish tanks are actually very energy efficient
as reptile tanks demand far more electricity
just from their Heat & UV lamps alone.

you may want to consider putting more tanks
on a circuit off another breaker since most
outlets are on a 15amp load fuse/wiring, so
you'd feel free to plug in other room items
into the outlets you share with your tanks.

1000th Post

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks, thats good to know. I have set up a separate 20amp rated line with dedicated circuit breaker for the tank with a GFCI as well.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
BTW, for those who arent familiar with electrical theory its relatively easy to convert between amps and watts. Most things are labeled with both anyways, so you can just get the info off the label. But if you only have one unit and want the other then watts = volts x amps. Here in the US voltage is usually 120V. or to solve for amps rearange the equation so amps = watts / volts.

I would not be too worried about exceeding the capacity of your electrical system with a few average aquariums. You may however notice an increase in your bill depending on a few things. If your a college kid with a small apartment and usually spend $20/mo on electricity then you might notice an increase if you have a few aquariums, especially if they are larger ones, and heated to 80 degrees for example. If you own a 4000 sq foot home with 4 kids and you have a few aquariums its probably not going to increase your bill by even a couple percent. So you see how the situation can vary.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't forget you need to take into account what other devices are using electricity at the same time. Central air? Oven/stove? Electric clothes dryer? Spa/pool? Aside from A/C, your fridge is likely the largest sucker of juice. Even if your fish tank is only a fraction of total usage, if you are running at capacity already it won't matter how little it is. Of course, you'd probably need a convergence of all the above devices being on to really trip the main.

I'm just stating worst case scenario. It's likely you will have no problems.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Before I upgraded my service to 200 A I had 8 tanks running. All had heaters, filters and airpumps. I didn't have high output lighting as I do now, but everything ran just fine with an 80A service.

Tommy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.