The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrical things confuse me till I'm mentally paralyzed! :confused: I have a 24in. standard All-Glass hood on my 15 gal. aquarium - the one with the 18" 15 watt florescent bulb. Yes I know I'd better get the wattage up but haven't a clue how. I checked all the same size bulbs in the store - and they're all 15 watts! Some feller told me I have to get a whole new hood set-up with the high-falutin' lighting-rig, and there's no way I can afford that right now. (I need a closed top to keep my fish from jumping out.) I keep hearing about "retro-fit rigs" - but my brain wouldn't let me wrap around installing that. Does someone know of just the fixture-strip, already rigged, that'll carry the bulbs I need to gain the proper wattage - and I could just yank off the light-rig on my hood and place it in it's stead? (I don't know all the electrical lingo - I hope someone understands me!)
:icon_conf Rephrased:
The hood comes in two sections - the hinged tank-cover with the glass lens for the light-rig... and the "light fixture" that sets on top of the lens kinda loose and holds on with the lip around the light-lens. I wish I could just replace the "light-fixture" with something that'll fit the same, and increases the wattage of the light for my plants. :help:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So all I need is this kit and the bulb for it? All this stuff in the kit fits into the current old light-cover, except the ballast fits outside? $60-some will have to be next month, but it looks good! I hope it's Dope Proof! LOL!
Sir - thanks for helping me... and thanks for your Service! Semper Fi!

·
Registered
61 Posts
So all I need is this kit and the bulb for it? All this stuff in the kit fits into the current old light-cover, except the ballast fits outside? $60-some will have to be next month, but it looks good! I hope it's Dope Proof! LOL!
I just did this kit and i too am electricaly challenged, it took me about 2 hours total to install everything, i took my time so i made sure i didnt mess anything up, light kit works awesome, just go slow and measure everything twice when installing. especially before you cut wires, lol:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
". . . measure everything twice when installing. especially before you cut wires, lol:icon_mrgr"
You can always cut more off, but it's a tad more difficult to put it back on ;) (it can be done in the case of wires, but it'll never look as neat.)

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
That's correct.

And thank you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
i think i'm about to tackle this project too... but i don't have any lighting of my own yet (just a borrowed strip light/hood). i think i'm gonna get one of the 20" enclosures ahsupply sells for $30 (since the cheapest strip light i can find is $15, why not make it look nice for $15 more) then get a 1x36w kit for it and a glass top and i'll be set, right? is 3.6wpg good? too much?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.