The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Was wondering how some of you have solved electrical options.

1) GFCI - I haven't been able to find a GFCIPower Strip. What have others found?
2) Timers. Is there an ideal timer, ith batter backuped up settings?
3) Power backup. Are there any aquarium sage UPS devices out ther? Think it would be worthwhile?
4) Don't suppose there is a homerun device that provides power backup, GFCI and timers? :)

Thank

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi Folks,

Was wondering how some of you have solved electrical options.

1) GFCI - I haven't been able to find a GFCIPower Strip. What have others found?
2) Timers. Is there an ideal timer, ith batter backuped up settings?
3) Power backup. Are there any aquarium sage UPS devices out ther? Think it would be worthwhile?
4) Don't suppose there is a homerun device that provides power backup, GFCI and timers? :)

Thank
1) Most people change the outlet that they are going to be using to a GFCI outlet.

2) Other than something like the Reefkeeper series, no.

3) I dont have any idea, but I suppose you could use a computer UPS.

4) This is just a guess but I would saw no.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Timers: I'm using these

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer outdoor timers/digital timers/hb800rcl.aspx

^-- This does have 2 outlets in it, however they are not able to be programmed independently. I use this for my co2, I wanted something that was very reliable. It does have a battery back up for settings, however.. I don't remember how long it will last. It's an outdoor timer, so assuming you have it installed correctly it should be fairly water proof.

I also use this for my lights:

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer indoor timers/lamp appliance timers/tn800cl.aspx

Not so sure that I like this one as much, as it seems to struggle to get through the "click" to turn the lights on and off, so even though I have it set for on and off at 12 and 8, they don't seem to click on and off until about 10-15 minutes or so after. However, I'm ok with it and don't bother to buy something different.

All in all, it cost me about $20 for the two. Bought them at lowes, I'm not sure about your store, but they were on display shelf near the ceiling fan section.

As far as a battery back up, I'm not sure about all.. but one night when we had a really bad storm and lost power for 8 hours, I tried to plug in my filter into my computers battery back up.. and it's a higher quality one:

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr...ategory/intelligent-lcd-ups/CP1500AVRLCD.html

Even that wasn't able to run my ECCO 2234, it ran but with not enough power to push water. You could hear the propeller spin, but it sounded like it was wobbling like it wasn't pushed in right or something. I remember reading somewhere that computer UPS won't run filters, something about seine waves or something. Lol, sorry don't really remember that part. I ended up using it to run my Koralia Nano to atleast keep flowing, I did have a many cycle after that though. Maybe someone could better answer this question for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
999 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of nuisance trips shuttuing everything down. I don't have multiple outlets near the tank. I have seen (Smith and fosters selle them too) singlu pluf GFCI and GFCI extension cords. I could use two of them, one in each plug, and have two independent GFCI connections.

If not that, I like the GFCI breaker option.

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't have GFCI outlets for my tanks or use GFCI extension cords. I do use power strips with built-in timers though. The ones I like are the Coralife Power Center (I have seven) as seen here http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp56300/si1382994/cl0/coralifepowercenterwavemaker. They have four outlets that are always on, two that are on during the day and two that are on at night. You can adjust the time in 15 minute increments. I usually have two tanks hooked up to each strip.

Getting a UPS that will work with aquarium setups isn't cheap. You have to get one that generates a sine wave output otherwise it won't drive the filter motors properly. I don't use a UPS on any of my aquariums although I do have one on my computer. For short duration outages like occur in my area I have some battery powered air pumps with airstones that I put in my most important tanks. These are the ones that I use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8044+3693&pcatid=3693.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is GFCI? I've tried looking it up, but haven't found a lay man's explanation that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Ground fault circuit interrupter. It's a little device, usually incorporated directly into a wall outlet, that monitors electrical current. If it detects an anomaly in the current, like a surge for instance, it will interrupt the circuit at lightning speed, thereby preventing many electrical fires and electrocutions.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/99.html

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is GFCI? I've tried looking it up, but haven't found a lay man's explanation that makes sense.
GFCI are the outlets that should be in your bathroom with the red button on it incase you like to blow dry your hair while your taking a bath they will keep you from zaping youself to death.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
a circuit breaker wont necesarilly trip imediatley if you drop your hair dryer in the pooper. a GFI will almost instantly.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Oh, okay. So what makes them different than a regular circuit breaker? Do they just work faster?
A GFI is a normal circuit breaker plus the GFI feature. Electrcity should go through the black wire, through your stuff, and back through the white wire. A GFI can tell when an amount of electricity that wouldn't necessarily trip the breaker is not returning through the white wire (it's found some other path to ground) and it trips.

edit: In jreich's example, the electricity goes out through the black, through the hair dryer, through the water and plumbing to ground, instead of back through the white wire.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
GFCI senses the current between the hot and neutral. A GFCI outlet is usually cheaper than a GFCI breaker. If you put the outlet on the first outlet in a circuit it protects the entire circuit. In any case it will protect every outlet downstream.
They are sensitive. I was rewiring an outlet after a switch. The GFCI upstream sensed the current when my sweaty hands hit both the hot and neutral. BTW that switch was in the off position and yes, power was on. No. I was in no danger since the hot where I was working was off via the upstream switch. No. I don't generally work on live wires but I built and wired the fish house and know for a fact that hot wire was deenergized.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts