The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In your position I would think more whole house necessities than just your tank. Refrigerator, some lights, and your tanks. Kill two birds with one stone. It can be wired into your circuit panel to provide back up to certain circuit lines.
You really want to have a circuit isolator on a home system like this. The last thing you need is to be injuring or electrocuting the utility workers repairing damaged or downed powerlines. I always just run a few heavy duty power cords from the generator to the necessities.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thank you (I do tree work for the utilities) though to be honest the power company PS safety gear on the line that will effectively destroy a generator in real short order if it's not hooked up correctly

Still a good idea and required by law though
You guys do some really appreciated, if not always recognized work.

I live down a road that frequently gets storm blown tree caused power outages, and it's comforting knowing there's a crew that will drag themselves and their trucks, saws and equipment out in nasty weather at all hours to get the electrons going again.

A big Thank You!

Bump:
Have you actually had to run your generator? Any problems with filters, air pumps or other aquarium-related equipment? Thanks for your response.
I think most simple aquarium gear don't mind the slight surges and AC frequency changes that most home issue generators make.

It *might* affect DIY digital circuitry/LED lamps, but a lot of what we use also gets sold in SE Asia and probably used on AC power grids that are less stringent in their voltage and frequency control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts