The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Recently my Rams spawned for the first time and now I have some eggs. My water PH (8) and hardness aren't ideal so I've read the eggs probably wont hatch in my 29 gallon. For the next time they spawn I would like to soften the water up some. I was thinking of setting aside a 5 gal bucket of water and add some Fluval peat granules in some cheesecloth like a teabag for the next water change, and maybe do this for every change. Does this sound like a decent way to go about it without making the change too drastic? I would like to slowly get things more ideal for them if I can and maybe get a successful hatching in the future.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
You could cut your tap with ro/distilled water and raise them in a 10 gal tank gradually moving parameters back towards basic tap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
289 Posts
My understanding for ideal GBR spawning conditions is to cut the TDS (conductivity) of the water. Not sure the peat moss is the primary silver bullet for accomplishing this.

Cheers,

G

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can leave them in there and see how the parents treat them. Mine had a few hatches that they tended until they were free swimming for a few days. Then one day they were gone... The parents have a pretty regular schedule, so I have had a chance to try a few different methods of removing the eggs, hatching and growing them. On one occasion, they laid on the gravel. I sucked the eggs up with a turkey baster and put them in a jar of tank water suspended in the parents tank. I was worried that the baster would be too rough on the eggs, but most of them survived. I put a few drops of methelyne blue in to retard fungus, and added an airstone. It will take a few days for them to hatch, and they will kinda lie there and wriggle for a couple days after hatching. Once they started swimming, I bastered them out, and put them into a perforated freezer dish that I suspended in the main tank.

When you do water changes, cut the water with RO water. (I get mine from WalMart for .37 a gallon. Take your own container). That will reduce your hardness, but watch your Ph.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts