The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys helped me identify an impulse buy I had, two little blue, color changing fish that i instantly wanted, [Id been thinking my tank needed some blue anyways..hehe].
They ended up being Electric Blue Rams, may or may not be jeweled?

The tank they are in is a 50 gallon planted, so plenty of space for territories. The params of my tank is ph: 6.3-6.4, very soft water, dh is not even one and kh maybe two?
Also living in the tank is 15-18 guppies, seven cories, a betta, two apple snails, various pond snails/MTS, and a handful of cherry shrimp. Theres also a BN pleco and a RN pleco.
And now two electric blue rams!
They are both male, one looks better that the other, is more 'alpha', bluer, better body shape, and more active. The other seems to be clamping his fins, is paler than the other, tends to hand out near this cup thats suctioned to the tank wall [for water changes]. Its clear, and he hovers above the rim, and sometimes inside the cup. He does swim abot though, and when he does, he blues up, but sometimes he gets near white when sitting in the cup. But the healthier looking one does alot of sitting too, but inthe plants, and in caves int he tank..Maybe its the cories and guppies being so high active, but to me they seem to be still alot!

I have a few concerns. The stay in the bottom third of my tank, along the back, is this normal for them?
Do they like it more dim? My tank is 48 inches long, but has two 36 inch t8 6500k light strips, kind of over lapped. I do have some surface plants, but i recently banned water sprite from this tank, so all i have is a bit of amazon frog-bit and some hygroryza aristata. Should i get more?
Are they acting timid because there is only two of them? Should I get more? Possibly another male, and three females? or four females? Would this help? I was thinking another male so that its not one on one, but more spread out. But then couldent it turn into two on one? *sigh* Would adding females neutralize or make the aggression worse?
How big does this strain get? I couldent seem to find anywhere that says a size, and im not sure how they actually compare to Bolivian rams. Right now they are almost exactly the size of an adult emerald green/albino cory.
I have not actually seen either of them eat, i got them two days ago, and they tend to be hiding, or the pale one is hanging at his cup, and would get trampled by guppies. I do feed the guppies seperately and spot feed the cories and betta, and the 'shrimp field'. Ive been trying to spot feed them, but i think they were still adjusting.

As i am writing this, I saw my betta, who has never attacked anything, flare at the brighter ram, and it did this flippy thing, and i thought Tyrion hit him, but he didnt move! Then the ram did it again, went horozontal, floated, and i thought he was dead! it looked like a fishy heart attack! He swam away and hid, and i figured i should remove him, in case something was wrong, and he is now acclimating int he QT/fry tank, but the pale one got away from me, and hid in the stump in my tank. Id like to remove him as well, cause im nervous, and stupid me didnt QT...>.<

Sorry for the long post!!
Im welcoming any advice, experience or tales!
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, as of right now, they are in my fry tank, as I was unprepared for what I got myself into!
What's the smallest size tank a single electric blue ram can live in? I an considering returning one of them, and keeping the other in a 5.5 I have, or in my ten gallon.
Would either of these be good?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts