The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My Bolivian rams are an enigma. I'll say it right off. The first batch of 6 I bought seemed fine in my 40b but over the course of 2 months 5 of them died from what appeared to be a wasting of some kind. They ate but never seemed to attack the food whether it be New Life or flakes or live... The lone survivor is a large healthy male that hides a lot and stays almost 100% on the bottom of the tank. I have high light and pressurized CO2 and am not sure if this is the reason. His colors are outstanding when he lets me see him.

I just bought 6 more juveniles from a guy on aquabid and these little guys are a treat! I had them in a 15 gallon QT for 3 weeks until this past Friday when I transferred them to the main tank. Now they seem fine and adjusted and sit at the glass and stare at me lol.... But I am terrified that they'll go the way of the other ones so I am very vigilant at this point. My other concern is how the full grown male from the original batch will feel about these new kids..

This idea that they may prefer smaller tanks makes me :-(

They have some very curious behavior without doubt!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The original 6 came from a LFS of dubious repute that I had never been in before or since. They just happened to have them when I was in the market and I took a shot. I didn't even bother to take the bodies back to them because the hassle of getting there for me was not worth the effort. I have always had good luck with the stores locally and I never hesitate to use them when they have what I'm looking for. This particular store has been around since Moses but has fallen into some trouble with the ownership and things aren't probably as sanitary or organized as it once was. I don't know how long this place had these particular rams either. It was never discussed. They're so far out of my way that I took a good effort to get to these, too. Lesson learned I guess.

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts