The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My Electric Blue Ram cichlid Spawned... and I have absolutely no idea what to do :(

They are in a planted tank, with healthy environment and the eggs are on the substrate beneath L. Glandulosa.

I can see they are protective about that area but also the males eating some eggs and the female is fighting with him to shoo him away.

I have no spare aquarium to move them out as of now.

But lets hope atleast the parents survive after this stressful time !

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
They usually panic and eat the eggs the first few times, but eventually they'll get the program down. Just keep doing whatever you're doing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
They usually panic and eat the eggs the first few times, but eventually they'll get the program down. Just keep doing whatever you're doing.
1.) what kind of fish do you have in the tank?
2.) expect the first batch to disappear over night. If it is there after 24 hours, your RAMS are doing really well.

Typically when they feel like the eggs will be threatened, they will eat all the eggs. The male/female will eat the eggs that are not fertizlied. So, if you see them eat then, not to worry... They are just taking care of the eggs.

After 24 hours, the eggs will turn to a translusent color (meaning they are fertlized) the ones that are solid white = not fertlized and should be removed from the tank. If at ANY point you move the eggs (if on a rock/driftwood/plants) - do NOT let it touch AIR/O2. (AIR PUMP is FINE)

other than that, sit back and relax. If you want a healthy batch, make sure you start reading up on on how to hatch baby brine shrimp. You will need to feed the fry with this to ensure a high survival rate before they can go to other forms of food.

Other than that, really not much you can do.

Only ones i would worry about eatting the eggs are Clown Loaches/Corys/and any other bottom fish.

If you have rummynose tetras, i would suggest removing them when the fry starts becoming free swimming (takes about 10-12 days or so). The rummynose or any other fast ones will peck off the fry.

I noticed you have Cardinal or Neon's in there - they are typically fine, but keep an eye out.... you might lose some Rams. (Electric blue's are nice, and sell for a lot!!!)

can you post the picture of your male and female one? I am just curious to see what they look like. I had 2, but due to hurricane sandy - one of mine died =(

My two German Blue's are still alive, but turning black! blah! need to do another water change tonight! blah!

·
Registered
260 Posts
You could put the Rock with eggs on it in a net breeder and aerate, or pump water to it to keep them from dying. I don't see them making it in your community tank. Either the parents will eat them all, or those cardinals will have a meal of them once they free swim.

ehhh my experience the cardinals get beaten up from the Ram's and stay clear of them.

I tried the breeder net but the aeration and fungus grew tremenous- I would recomemmend once they are free swiming to put them into the breeder net. But be careful of space from the net to the glass of the tank. I came home to one of my fish getting caught between and die... so be VERY CAREFUL!

You will need to do a lot of waterchanges. Even if the fry are as tiny as a piece of rice - they will still add ammonia to your tank. Rams lay ~50-100 or so eggs. If 50 of the fry survive of a batch about 100.. you are looking at a lot of extra bioload.. FYI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts