The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, well....my daughter has a 10g downstairs in her room with 4 tiger barbs and 2 electric blue lobsters. We haven't seen the lobsters for a while and I went searching tonight. One of them has found an ornament that I didn't think he could get into and the other one seems to have tunneled under one of the large rocks we have in there into the substrate. The one under the substrate is carrying eggs. Anyone know anything about caring for these and what we should provide?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks guys

·
Registered
517 Posts
they're actually crayfish i think. sorry i don't know how to help with the egg thing but i just wanted to ask if you've been able to collect a full exoskeleton shell thing from them yet? i had two that shed a few times but i was never able to put together the pieces to make it whole.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, my kids and I did collect 2 FULL exo's. Pretty neat how they shed them. I can't believe all the little teeny tiny pieces stay intact as if it were a whole other animal.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
care is pretty easy, same as normal cray fish... give them good food. meaty, and flake. they need a varied diet to become good strong crays...

I'm not sure if you should seperate the young though...

-Andrew

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
cherokee; I would recommend the following.

get a common 20gal Long tank (30"x12" bottom).
buy dozens of Feller stone rocks (aka red lava rocks)
or dozens of natural Lace rock to cover the bottom
with just one layer of these kinds of porous stones.
think of creating a flat honeycomb pattern of rocks.
this will make as easily climbable space for baby crayfish
to explore, find food, and also hide to avoid each other.

get a light and hanging filter; they don't need anything fancy.
I would cut the inlet tube on the hanging filter in half so the
crayfish don't have anything easy to climb up and escape.

if you have some extra small stone gravel or sand from your 10gal
you can lay down less than an inch of that before the rocks
to create a mulm layer for processing nitrites, and to give
the crayfish a little bit of digging medium to play with, but
the rocks are more important to help keep them separated.

very gently remove the 'pregnant' female from your 10gal.
the best way is to slide a cotton tube sock over your hand,
carefully trap her, and she'll try to escape by climbing on
your gloved hand, while doing that, move your hand over
the put her in this new tank. once she releases her fry,
they will scurry down between the rocks where she can't
get at them, then remove her back to the original 10gal.

crayfish are probably the easiest pets to feed as they eat
just about anything. you might want to supplement the
fry tank with extra calcium(Tums) and iodine(Seachem liquid)
to help them grow and molt more easily.

Once the babies reach about 1.5" in length you should
consider selling or giving them away, as they may
start tearing off each other's limbs if they get big
and crowded enough.

remember crayfish in the wild are more herbivores
so always throw some plant cuttings you pruned from
our 10gal into your new 20gal crayfish nursery by
weighing them down with a plant weight.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks spypet!

Will do as you advised. Have a 20 long in the garage so I'll use that. Also have an aquaclear 30 that will be perfect for that tank. LFS wants to buy so I'll have no problem selling them.

:icon_smil

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I think I might leave them in the tank they are in. The one with eggs has made a burrow in the substrate underneath one of the large rocks in the tank and then pushed the gravel up to close the hole. The only indication that she's even there is when I put an algae wafer in front and just underneath the rock. The gravel soon gets shoveled aside, the wafer gets taken and then the gravel goes back in place. Has anyone ever seen this behavior before?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have 4 in my 20g with shrimps with lots of plants (which they trim for me) & driftwoods. Found 5 babies all are doing really well. BTW 1 pair will soon go to my 55g as soon as it cycles.

-BS

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm....mine don't trim at all. They're more like lumberjacks and just clearcut the whole forest. :eek:

Has anybody seen the behavior I mentioned in the above post?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cherokee, we saw the same isolation behaviour in my son's tank with his crayfish, it went into hiding in a little shell cave he had built, so it didn't have to dig, but we wondered what was up with it.

We only found out it was carrying a bunch of wigglers when he thought to move it to a different tank. Once the babies went free swimming the mother didn't chase them around as food, but she turned up dead on morning for no apparent reason within a few days. I'd be interested in knowing if that's just coincidence. The babies are still fine/growing weeks later, so I don't think it was food/water issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We saw the same isolation behaviour with my son's crayfish. It went into hiding in a little shell cave he'd built, so it didn't have to dig.

We wondered what was up with it and only noticed it was carrying a bunch of wigglers when he thought he should move it to another tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts