The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two electric blue acara acting weird, they have been shaking and messing around with plants near this rock and other places in the tank. And my largest has this white bump sticking out near his anus. I think it's a breeding tube. Making this a female? The smaller one doesn't really have anything sticking out. But I thought the male should be bigger. That are both about the size of my female platy in the same tank (2 inches for the large maybe 2 in for the small male)

I have 3 and these two seem to partner but they all look similar but today their colors do look brighter than the third, who is also small.They aren't really aggressive towards other fish yet.
PXL_20210610_213610250.jpg

PXL_20210610_183314458.MP.jpg
PXL_20210610_213746588~2.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well they are laying eggs. I'm not going to move them or anybody else and see if they survive. If they hatch should I give them special food, i have lots of algae growing can they find microorganisms in that? Or should I go get some fry food, and how would I even get the food to them it's a 55 gal tank and the other fish rush at food fairly quickly.
PXL_20210610_221715401.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try separating them out. Parents will protect fry but some will slip past eventually and become live food.
Blue acaras are usually docile, but mom can beat up dad after spawning or hatching so look out for that.
Eggs will hatch after 3~5 days.

For fry food I recommend brine shrimp. Fresh hatched ones. You have few days until fry use up their yolk after hatching.
After they depleted their yolk then you have to feed them small amounts frequently. Ideally 3 times per day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts