The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that shrimp (CRS and CRS/CBS) are scavengers by nature, so is their any harm in feeding them crushed pond/bladder snails? Too much protein? (still feeding algae/veggie wafers and the tank is heavily planted)

Seems like a nice free food source, and would rather do that then put an assassin snail back in this tank - they always seem to destroy the Ramshorns before even looking at anything else.

This is a shrimp only tank, already do the crushed snail thing occasionally in my community tank and the fish love it.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
It's fine for the shrimp in small does as you said since it's pure protein but it is good for them because it's a free, natural, fresh protein. Not processed, not frozen but right there in the tank.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I do it all the time, every day. I crush and snail I can get to with my planting tweezers
I might be careful about that, since you could get an increase in ammonia from dead matter. That is, if you have a lot of snails in a small tank.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My son does that almost every time we watch the tank together. I limit him to crushing two a day. Since there are about 300 shrimps in that 20G-L, the crushed snails never last for more than 5 minutes.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
I do it all the time never ammonia problems, those dead suckers are lucky to last 10 min. I crush about 10-15 a day in each tank. Also do note I have about 120 OEBT/100 Yellows in one tank, 60 BTOE/50 Velvets in another, probably 700 PFR in one, 30TB/30 Hyrbids in another, and 20 F2 hybrids in another, and 18 CRS in one, and 30 SSS+CRS in another. Never a issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.