The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a 20g that is emersed right now (going to flood it soon. This is the classroom tank) and I threw some Eichhornia diversifolia in the tank because I didn't have space for it. Then I saw on plantfinder, that it can't be grown emersed. The thing that puzzles me is that I have new growth on the stem, looks just like submersed, but its new.

I don't know what % humidity I have, however I suspect around 80% or so. The soil is ADA amazonian new, the light is an odyssea 24'' 2x24w bulb. It might just be shooting some new growth in a dying last stand, seeing as a lot of the submerged growth has dried out. But still, I am curious as to why it has new growth.

Any idea's if it is really submersed only or what? Do you guy's have any experience with it?

Thanks a bunch!

(Excuse the crappy photo)

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump....

Any reason as to why it is growing emersed when I have been told by multiple source's it can't? Has it just never been tried?

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Maybe it hasn't been emmersed long enough for it to start dying? Maybe it's like how non-aquatics stay alive for a little while underwater before rotting.

I would think that it would just grow floating type leaves like in 1 of the pictures though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You can grow almost anything out of water in high humidity, at least for the short term. Any leaves meant for contact with air will be like those in the flower photo. It will not grow long/well or with leaves that look like the submersed ones while above water.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! Okay, thanks!

-Caton

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.