The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still on the hunt for CO2 and saving my coin for all the equipment. In the meantime, can I start the EI doses? Would it be reduced since there's no CO2 going on?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Go easy on the light intensity.You can use this calculator http://calc.petalphile.com/ ,choose EI low light/weekly.The doses are reduced compared to classic EI.
I started dosing a couple weeks ago ,after an algae outbreak.
Co2 imbalances make it worse in high light.
Maybe the more experienced members could advise about the water changes ,when dosing ferts in low light with no Co2 or Excel.

The non Co2 method advises only top offs and monthly WC(plants adapt to low CO2 levels ,yet when new water is added ,you suddenly increase the CO2 in the tank).This confuses the plants ,which now have to adapt to the new Co2 levels ,they start to destroy their extra Rubisco enzymes,instead of investing energy in growth.

On the other hand ,EI recommends large ,weekly water changes ,as to reset water params and prevent fert buildup.
Hopefully ,other members can clarify this ,as I too ,am confused.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
While your saving your money, You should go get some liquid co2 like excel or api co2 booster. It will help with algae. You could also do DIY co2 temporarily, its cheap. If you have major algae issues you already have an imbalance somewhere, I would be very careful about EI dosing without co2. What is your set up? What kind of light do you have? Let us know and we can help you find the root of your algae issues.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My set up:
T5 HO, 38 Gallon.
I've tried Excel and a CO2 booster, but I've also got jungle / torta vals that seemed to suffer with those ferts.
I use a root tab for the amazon sword.
Dose with flourish every other day.
Weekly water change close to 50%

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My set up:
T5 HO, 38 Gallon.
I've tried Excel and a CO2 booster, but I've also got jungle / torta vals that seemed to suffer with those ferts.
I use a root tab for the amazon sword.
Dose with flourish every other day.
Weekly water change close to 50%
How long do you keep your light on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts