The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the title, been up all night picking at my tank again.

In attempts to remedy algae outbreaks and leggy plants I fussed with my photoperiod and EI dosing amounts. Lessening my photoperiod and switching to a 6700 to a 10000K bulb helped with the algae a little but I also found that I wasn't dosing enough macros. Yesterday I took the plunge and pruned a bunch of my leggiest-looking stem plants to about 1/2 their height. I also noted that when I was fussing with the photoperiod I caused some rotting of the bottoms of my d diandra and my rotala indica. I pulled those out and saved what I could and re-planted but I lost a lot of the volume of my plants. It looks better in respects to the algae and appearance of the plants, but it also looks sort of bare. I have found a happy lighting medium and dosing regimine but I do not know if I have culled too much plant to continue EI dosing. If so then what can I do to prevent leggy re-growth of my plants, would cutting the dosing in half help?

I have a 96 watt CF 6700K coralife on a 35 hex. Any more light seems to be too much. The footprint is pretty small (20" across at the widest point). I am injecting DIY CO2 via a 1 gallon bottle with champaign yeast and a hydor submersible powerhead which is awesome. I tried adding more CO2 with another bottle but it proved too much for my fish. Even with one bottle running I need to turn on an airstone at night to keep them from gasping. At the 1 bottle's best I have more than 30 ppm. My photoperiod now spans from 8 to noon, a 3-hour "siesta", and then 3 to 8pm. This seems to be working well. I am dosing macros and micros using the EI method. I have (estimated) about 5-6 stems of cabomba, 10 stems of ambulia, 13 stems of sunset hygro, 13 stems of rotala indica, 5 stems of red ludwiga, 2 stems of pennywort, 13 stems of d.diandra, one chain sword, one anubias, 3 java ferns attached to driftwood, some m.quadrifolia, and some dwarf hairgrass. I am waiting for optimal growth and will then work on the artistic aspect I know it sounds bad right now (and I already culled my collectoritis plants!:eek: ) I have 3 angels 3 panda corys and 9 rasboras with maybe an amano shrimp or two but I think they all died.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts