The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that you can't dose macro and micro at the same time. But what is the shortest amount of time I have to wait until I can dose again and I get no negative effects of dosing macro and micro together?

This isn't for practicality. I'm just curious and maybe it'll be handy in the future for some reason.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Meaning if my ferts are pre mixed I can potentially dose at the same time?
Yes.

Most worry about iron-PO4 co-precipitation However this is a problem at high concentrations, thus the solutions for micros ( say 10000ppm Fe) and macros (say 6800ppm PO4) should not be mixed. But once in the aquarium you would have say 0.5ppm(0.0000005 mgFe:1mgH2O) Fe and 2ppm PO4. The lower concentration leads to fewer chances of enough PO4 to colide with the chelated Fe.

The classic EI suggests that micros and NPK should be dosed on separate days. However, as others have, I also noticed signs of Fe deficiency when I skip a day. I did not notice any problems with moving to the EI daily regime.

PO4 can be measured rather accurately so if you want you can try and see at what Fe conc. the PO4 starts to get sign. lower in one day( do this in a container with RODI water and no plants or algae )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.