The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I just got my macros and micros(csm+b and iron) for EI dosing. I'm completely new to doing dry ferts but I know that I need to alternate micros and macros with a 50% water change weekly.
I have gone over several EI dosing calculators and know the numbers, thing is.. I don't have measuring spoons or scale small enough to measure out anything smaller then 1g.
I wanted to make a solution with RO water, so I don't have to measure out everyday, but I'm not sure of the exact measurements for each fertilizer or how much to dose per day. Found this website, but it's missing iron and a macro fertilizer. But overall does it seem right?
http://www.thenutrientcompany.com/aquarium/calculators/

That being said I have a 20 gallon heavily planted tank with high lights.

Any help with this topic would be amazing, thank you so much guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
CSM+B & Iron are just micro fertilizers, Macros are N-P-K: Nitrogen-Phosphates-Potassium. And yes you want alternate days for EI dosing, here's my EI dosing schedule...

Mon - Weds - Fri - Macro fertilizers
Tues - Thurs - Sat - Micro fertilizers
Sun - 50% Water change and cleaning the glass

As for a dosing calculator - http://calc.petalphile.com/

I use that calculator, and it has everything micros, macros, etc....

I use a 100g-.0001g digital scale to measure out exact amounts of each fertilizer, I got my scales off e-b-a-y for a like $5-$10.

Then I got my measuring spoons from amazon.com - Amazon.com: Norpro 3080 Mini Measuring Spoons, 5 Piece Set: Kitchen & Dining

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Thanks for the quick response!
I know of the dosing calculator, but I really don't have the equipment to measure out that small of doses. Is there a way I can make a solution with RO water and macros/micros that will last several weeks for easy daily dosing?
I'm not really sure how to make the solution with measurements and dosing per day.
Thanks!
CSM+B & Iron are just micro fertilizers, Macros are N-P-K: Nitrogen-Phosphates-Potassium. And yes you want alternate days for EI dosing, here's my EI dosing schedule...

Mon - Weds - Fri - Macro fertilizers
Tues - Thurs - Sat - Micro fertilizers
Sun - 50% Water change and cleaning the glass

As for a dosing calculator - http://calc.petalphile.com/

I use that calculator, and it has everything micros, macros, etc....

I use a 100g-.0001g digital scale to measure out exact amounts of each fertilizer, I got my scales off e-b-a-y for a like $5-$10.

Then I got my measuring spoons from amazon.com - Amazon.com: Norpro 3080 Mini Measuring Spoons, 5 Piece Set: Kitchen & Dining
So I am completely silly, I didn't notice that the online calculator gives you the measurements for dosing in a solution form... Wow.

Do these amounts sound good?

To reach your target of 7.5 ppm NO3 you will need to add 185.166 g KNO3 to your 1000.0 mL dosing container. Add 5.0 mL of that mix to your 20.0 US gal aquarium to yield.

So... I mix the macros together(K2S04,KN03,KH2PO4) and micros together(Iron Chelate 10% and CSM+B) separately into each their own 1000ml solution. With dosing 5ml per solution and rotating micros/macros of course.

Does this sound correct? I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly the first time :icon_conf.

Thanks so much!

·
Banned
107 Posts
So I am completely silly, I didn't notice that the online calculator gives you the measurements for dosing in a solution form... Wow.

Do these amounts sound good?

To reach your target of 7.5 ppm NO3 you will need to add 185.166 g KNO3 to your 1000.0 mL dosing container. Add 5.0 mL of that mix to your 20.0 US gal aquarium to yield.

So... I mix the macros together(K2S04,KN03,KH2PO4) and micros together(Iron Chelate 10% and CSM+B) separately into each their own 1000ml solution. With dosing 5ml per solution and rotating micros/macros of course.

Does this sound correct? I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly the first time :icon_conf.

Thanks so much!
That amount sounds good. it's what I added to my solution for my 20g tanks which are heavy planted. Plant growth and health have been excellent.

I had trouble fully diluting all three dry macros into a 1000ml/5ml solution, so I had to shake the solution before dosing. I ended up doubling the solution and the dosage to 2000ml/10ml to increase solubility.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That amount sounds good. it's what I added to my solution for my 20g tanks which are heavy planted. Plant growth and health have been excellent.

I had trouble fully diluting all three dry macros into a 1000ml/5ml solution, so I had to shake the solution before dosing. I ended up doubling the solution and the dosage to 2000ml/10ml to increase solubility.

You're awesome! I appreciate the quick and informative reply :). I feel confident to start dosing my own ferts.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find it easier to dry dose using the 1/4, 1/16, etc. measuring spoons
Yeah, I tried looking for those at Walmart and Bed, Bath and Beyond yesterday and couldn't find them. So I just ended up making a solution, which is actually easier for me, only have to dose 5ml per day. :)

I had another question regarding Potassium Sulfate(K2S04).. when I put in my solution container and dosing amount per day, the calculator said;

To reach your target of 7.5 ppm K you will need to add 253.072 g K2SO4 to your 1000.0 mL dosing container. Add 5.0 mL of that mix to your 20.0 US gal aquarium to yield Element ppm/degree K 7.50 S 3.08 The solubility of K2SO4 at room temperature is 120 mg/mL. You should adjust your dose.
I went ahead and left out the dose for today, but what does this mean?!

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
I had another question regarding Potassium Sulfate(K2S04).. when I put in my solution container and dosing amount per day, the calculator said;

To reach your target of 7.5 ppm K you will need to add 253.072 g K2SO4 to your 1000.0 mL dosing container. Add 5.0 mL of that mix to your 20.0 US gal aquarium to yield Element ppm/degree K 7.50 S 3.08 The solubility of K2SO4 at room temperature is 120 mg/mL. You should adjust your dose.
I went ahead and left out the dose for today, but what does this mean?!
It means that you are trying to dissolve too much potassium sulfate into too little water.

Only 120 mg (0.12g) of potassium sulfate will dissolve into 1 mL of water. This means in 1000 mL of water, only 120 grams will dissolve. You are trying to dissolve 253.072 grams, which will not work.

You can adjust this by (say) tripling or quadrupling your dose volume, while cutting down the potassium sulfate by 1/3 or 1/4, respectively.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It means that you are trying to dissolve too much potassium sulfate into too little water.

Only 120 mg (0.12g) of potassium sulfate will dissolve into 1 mL of water. This means in 1000 mL of water, only 120 grams will dissolve. You are trying to dissolve 253.072 grams, which will not work.

You can adjust this by (say) tripling or quadrupling your dose volume, while cutting down the potassium sulfate by 1/3 or 1/4, respectively.
I don't have a container large enough and I already made the solution, so I guess ill just have to dry dose with;

To reach your target of 7.5 ppm K you will need to add 1.265 g K2SO4 to your 20.0 US gal aquarium to yield

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Darkblade is right, your trying to mix to much K2S04 in too little water. If you want small measuring spoons, And I mean small, go on ebay and search mini measuring spoons. That's what I use to dose dry ferts straight to the tank. I find it easier that way. If your nervous about adding ferts, add a little then test the water then adjust your dose accordingly.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
I don't have a container large enough and I already made the solution, so I guess ill just have to dry dose with;
I am surprised you managed to get it all to dissolve, if that is the case.

You could use a 1L container, dissolve 1/4 of the potassium sulfate you originally used, and then simply dose 4x the volume. The final mass of potassium sulfate dosed would be the same.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am surprised you managed to get it all to dissolve, if that is the case.

You could use a 1L container, dissolve 1/4 of the potassium sulfate you originally used, and then simply dose 4x the volume. The final mass of potassium sulfate dosed would be the same.
I didn't dissolve the sulfate into my original solution I made yesterday, but I got the KH2PO4(phosphate) and KNO3(nitrate) to dissolve into the 1000ml solution, just had to shake it up a few times ;).

So, I use a 1000ml container, with 1/4 the sulfate required so it can dissolve and dose 4x the regular amount?

I appreciate the help SO much everyone!! You guys are great.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
The doses you listed are fine. Remember, you don't need the full dose of K2SO4 since KNO3 and KH2PO4 supplies 70% of the needed potassium. That's usually enough on it's own. If you want the additional potassium add 76 grams to your macro bottle. That will supply an additional 2.25ppm of potassium which is the remaining 30% of a full EI dose.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The doses you listed are fine. Remember, you don't need the full dose of K2SO4 since KNO3 and KH2PO4 supplies 70% of the needed potassium. That's usually enough on it's own. If you want the additional potassium add 76 grams to your macro bottle. That will supply an additional 2.25ppm of potassium which is the remaining 30% of a full EI dose.
Okay, will do!~

I appreciate all the help guys :).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.