The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All tank info:
20g iwagumi-style long
0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 6.2~6.3pH, anywhere between 80-160ppm Nitrates (day 3 of dosing, 2nd day of adding K2NO3/KH2PO4)
Dosing regimen: MWF 3/16tsp KNO3 1/16tsp KH2PO4 Tues/Thurs 1/16 TNC Trace
76-78F during the day, consistently 74-76F from whenever I get home until I leave in the morning (window AC unit on+heater running).
5 Espei Rasboras, 7 or 8 FRCS (I lose count), 5 Otocinclus vittatus, Pygmy Corydoras, currently 2 Amano shrimp (found ANOTHER one when I got home today).
Carpet of HC, patch of fissidens (~2"x2") in the center rock structure
Aqua Soil Amazonia NEW Normal type with Power Sand Special-S under it
Eheim 2215 with 2 100mL bags of Purigen added and the carbon filter pad removed
2x24W 24" T5-HO fixture 12" above water surface, also modified with 2 sheets of window screening to reduce the light intensity
Standard EI dosing
30ppm CO2 (may be more at night when the lights are off)

High nitrate much...? This is on the third day (dosing 3/16 tsp Potassium Nitrate the second time out of three this week). Is this normal or should I just stop dosing KNO3 and use K2SO4?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The best thing to do is stop trying to measure the nitrates. It isn't necessary to do so. Just follow the EI recommended dosing schedule, and change about half of the water once a week. If you want to measure the nitrates or other water parameters just for fun, first make a few standard solutions of distilled water and KNO3, for nitrates, with a known concentration of nitrates. Then use those to calibrate your nitrate test kit. If you don't do that, the test kit doesn't tell you anything at all - it may not work at all.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I'm really just trying to get down to the bottom of shrimp deaths and figured I'd inquire about my dosing methods.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Are you dosing 1/4 tsp of NO3 3x per week? You should try to measure how much nitrate your tank is consuming per day. I can not see how you can accumulate that much nitrate in a week unless your tank isn't heavily stocked with plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts