The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a little confused how to tackle the EI dosing on 180g tank.

I know these are the optimal water parameters:

GH 2-8 dGH (30ppm of calcium and 10ppm of magnesium)
KH 3-6 dKH
pH 6.5-7.0
NO3 5-10ppm
K+ 20-30ppm
PO4 0.2-0.5ppm
Fe 0-2-0.7ppm

I have a SpectraPure RODI system. I stopped using the DI resin as my water has a high CO2 content and it's consumed very fast. So now the last two chambers run empty.

I had my tap water and RO water tested by the water company.

Tap Water
KH - 344ppm or 19.2dKH
Nitrite - ND
Nitrate - 38.6ppm
GH - 462ppm or 27.7GH (It's a limestone area. I'd say the vast majority is coming from Ca)
Phosphate - 0.5ppm - 1ppm (using the API test kit)

RO water
KH - 16.6ppm or 0.93KH
Chloride - 3.96ppm
Iron - ND
Nitrite - ND
Nitrate - 5.37ppm
Sulphate - 0.21ppm
GH - 0ppm
Phosphate - 0.5ppm - 1ppm (using the API test kit)

The tank is a tetra tank and I have will have around 100 fish in there. The tank is not heavily planted, probably around 50% stocked with plants now.

As I live in the Philippines and the chemicals I need for EI dosing are not readily available here, I want to limit the number of fertilizers and chemicals like GH Booster I need to ship.

I have a 300l storage tank hooked up to my RO system, which replaces around 50% of my tank water. It has an automatic cut-off at 300l, but I can probably add another 25l to the tank. I can also reposition the float valve. I can't consume the bottom 25l of water as I have a Rio 17HF pushing the water to my tank.

How much tap water should I mix with my RO so I can reduce chemical use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi.. pics of the tank will help especially to assess what kind of plants u r gonna use. We also need to know what kind of lights r u gonna use and also whether u r gonna inject co2. If u wanna reduce chemicals u definitely have to mix tap and RO water first. 50 - 50 is good enough. But that's not what matters. Apart from ur npk that plants need they also need iron and micronutrients. U will have to supplement those regardless of other factors. Npk requirement will be based on the above mentioned factors of plant type, lights and plant density.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank definitely went a bit jungle as I stopped the regular maintenance when I had a kid a month ago. I will post pics later.

For lights, I have 4 x 50W LED floodlights. With Senseye, I get 50 PAR at the substrate.

For CO2, I have a cylinder hooked up to a pH probe and try to maintain 30ppm.

·
Banned
6,197 Posts
I am a little confused how to tackle the EI dosing on 180g tank.

I know these are the optimal water parameters:

GH 2-8 dGH (30ppm of calcium and 10ppm of magnesium)
KH 3-6 dKH
pH 6.5-7.0
NO3 5-10ppm
K+ 20-30ppm
PO4 0.2-0.5ppm
Fe 0-2-0.7ppm
Just curious......what makes you think these are optimal water parameters?

Not even close to most of the best tanks I follow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just curious......what makes you think these are optimal water parameters?

Not even close to most of the best tanks I follow.
I was going by this thread . But I guess that is pretty old and perhaps consensus changed?

What do you recommend as ranges?

As you can see, it's been a bit neglected lately. The pearlweed uprooted itself. Some of the plants are showing signs of deficiencies as I dropped off the EI dosing.

In the foreground, there is supposed to be Glossostigma elatinoides, but it died back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.