The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I just received me EI dry ferts package from NilocG today and I need some help. This will be for a 40 breeder that I am setting up in the next few weeks.

From what I gather this will be my dosing regiment.
20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

With my package I also got K2SO4 which I'm not sure if I need to incorporate into the schedule. Also does it matter whether I use measuring teaspoons or a scale? Is one better than the other?

·
Planted Tanker
6,080 Posts
K2SO4 is potassium in the form of potassium sulfate, you may or may not need it because the N and P provides some as well. personally I think it's a good idea, K is virtually impossible to dose too much. You should add roughly as much as KNO3, or a bit less.

Personally I like scales because you can do a better job of dosing specific ppms of everything, also easier to make precise adjustments. But it really doesnt matter, generally speaking there's no need to get all that specific to begin with.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have a 40b i dose 1/4 t potassium nitate, 1/4 potassium sulfate and 1/16 mono phosphate. For trace i did 24g in 500ml of csm+b and dose 3ml.

I think that is the trace mix ill have to check. More lean on traces worked better for me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
K2SO4 is potassium in the form of potassium sulfate, you may or may not need it because the N and P provides some as well. personally I think it's a good idea, K is virtually impossible to dose too much. You should add roughly as much as KNO3, or a bit less.

Personally I like scales because you can do a better job of dosing specific ppms of everything, also easier to make precise adjustments. But it really doesnt matter, generally speaking there's no need to get all that specific to begin with.
I can confirm that you don't need to dose K2SO4 as part of the regular fertilization. I would dose a one time of 5-10 ppm K and let the KNO3 and KH2PO4 provide the additional K in the tank.

I noticed in all my tanks that the K levels tend to increase over time even if the N or P is going lower. So most of the time you end up with the higher K than what you started with.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you are adding fish food, then the fish food can supply some N and P and most traces.
Fish food is low in K and Fe.

Start dosing the EI recipe.
If the NO3 rises too high, then you might use less KNO3, but substitute some K2SO4. This will supply the potassium without quite so much NO3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.