The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I have 15gal Long tank with Amazonia I, 2bps pressured CO2, 2x24w T5HO 6700K bulbs. Light is lifted 14-15” from substrate.
Plants: Tonina Fluviatilis, Red Rottala , Ludwigia Senegalensis, Pogostemon Stellatus 'broadleaf'
My sink water PH-7.8, KH-3, GH-3
My question is: Do I have to Supply and How much Seachem Equilibrium + some MgSo4 in order to supply enought K,Ca and Mg
I’m using EI ferts schedule.

·
Registered
401 Posts
it is recommended to add 1 to 2 degrees of GH with GH booster to whatever you already have in your tap water unless you have super hard water. as far as k goes, if you dosing EI, you don't need to dose extra k as there should be plenty in KNO3 already.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you're dosing CSM+B or something else for your micros with your EI then you don't need to add additional micros in the form of GH booster unless you want the specific benefits of higher GH.

Most GH boosters include K, Ca, Mg, Fe, and Mn, including Equilibirium, so you wouldn't have to add extra Mg if you used that. Although if you're already adding a source for micros you won't have to add it at all.

If you do decide to use GH booster, I would get the 'generic' stuff from whatever place you get your other dry ferts, since Equilibrium is rather overpriced comparatively.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d like to be sure that there are enough Ca and Mg but can't find parameters for our tap water.
Now many aquarist are not agreed with old Ca:Mg 4:1 ratio that why my thought are Equilibrium and MgSo4

·
Registered
637 Posts
I’d like to be sure that there are enough Ca and Mg but can't find parameters for our tap water.
Now many aquarist are not agreed with old Ca:Mg 4:1 ratio that why my thought are Equilibrium and MgSo4
If you want to get a specific ratio of Ca and Mg I would just order CaSO4 and MgSO4. CaSO4 is like $2.50/lb compared to Equilibirum at like $18/lb and then you know exactly what you're getting.

But I've never heard of anyone going for that specific ratio, so it seems that lots of people have flourishing tanks without worrying about it. I'm always for the simplest method to get things done, but in the end it's your tank and you can do whatever you want. :)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to get a specific ratio of Ca and Mg I would just order CaSO4 and MgSO4. CaSO4 is like $2.50/lb compared to Equilibirum at like $18/lb and then you know exactly what you're getting.

But I've never heard of anyone going for that specific ratio, so it seems that lots of people have flourishing tanks without worrying about it. I'm always for the simplest method to get things done, but in the end it's your tank and you can do whatever you want. :)
looks like I have too much free time to thing for ..........
I'll get a beer and sit to watch TV.:proud:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.