The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am going to be trying the EI dosing regimen. I have a 46 gallon tank with a medium-high fish load (approx 30" of fish.) Lighting is 4.78 watts per gallon.
If I did my math right, I will be dosing:

Odd days- 1/2 tsp Potassium Nitrate & 1/16-1/8 tsp Mono Potassium Phosphate

Even days-trace (how much if I'm using CSM+B)

Water change weekly-1/4 tsp Equilibrium

I don't think I'm missing anything except for the dose of CSM+B. Also, where does Magnesium Sulfate fit in? I don't see it in the EI article but it is mentioned on the micro nutrient section of Greg Watson's site.

What if any adjustments need to be made for a higher fish load? The article about EI states this is for a low fish load with high light and CO2. Speaking of CO2, I am doing DIY for now until I buy a regulator.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Hello all. I am going to be trying the EI dosing regimen. I have a 46 gallon tank with a medium-high fish load (approx 30" of fish.) Lighting is 4.78 watts per gallon.
If I did my math right, I will be dosing:

Odd days- 1/2 tsp Potassium Nitrate & 1/16-1/8 tsp Mono Potassium Phosphate

Even days-trace (how much if I'm using CSM+B)
The CSM+B amount is +/- ⅛ tsp or 10ml solution.

I don't think I'm missing anything except for the dose of CSM+B. Also, where does Magnesium Sulfate fit in? I don't see it in the EI article but it is mentioned on the micro nutrient section of Greg Watson's site.

change weekly-1/4 tsp Equilibrium
I don't have a way to check to see if the amount you need for Equilibrium is ¼ tsp or not.

Anyway, here's what Equilibrium contains:
Guaranteed Analysis (Amounts per 1 g)
Soluble Potassium (K20) 23.0%
Calcium (Ca) 8.06%
Magnesium (Mg) 2.41%
Soluble Iron (Fe) 0.11%
Soluble Manganese (Mn) 0.06%
Equilibirum

Some people just add Magnesium Sulfate instead of Equilibrium. They add around the same amount that is called for trace. It depends on their tap water GH.

Also some people use Barr's GH Booster instead of Equilibrium.

What if any adjustments need to be made for a higher fish load? The article about EI states this is for a low fish load with high light and CO2. Speaking of CO2, I am doing DIY for now until I buy a regulator.
A high fish load produces more nitrogen from the fish and more phosphate from the left over food.

That means that you might need to cut back on one of them or even both of them depending on what your water parameters are now.

I hope your DIY CO2 is up to the task or either you get a pressurized system going soon!

Good luck!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts