The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I managed to finally get my water parameter to stabilize and i got my shrimp to survive and start eating now... thank god!!! im glad they are more active now and no longer hiding... I have stopped EI dosing for a good 2 or 3 weeks in my tank... and now my nitrates have bottomed out... Its a 10 gal tank and here are the parameters

10 gal.
lighting 3 watts/gall
Ph- 6.5-6.8
Ammonia = 0
nitrate = 0 now due to no EI DOsing
GH = 4.46 Dh

the shrimps are now doing well and eating well i must say... food is shirakura shrimp food which my shrimps love and occassionally hikari mini algae wafers.

My question right now is how would i be able to slowly starting dosing EI again without harming my shrimp? I knew i dosed before and they were fine but i also restocked my colony with new shrimp that were not used to EI. any suggestions how to go about it?

I read in several forums that its 50/50 to dose or not to dose... 50% would say its fine , other 50% would say never dose EI.
I got some of my crypts melting and my java fern is slowly wilting away due to nitrates bottoming out. what should i do? I dont want to kill my shrimps due to EI dosing nor would i want to sacrifice my plants as well.

help would be much appreciated

Thanks again

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Well, I have plenty of evidence, actually all I need to disprove the 50% naysayers who know not what they spew:)

See all those red little guys?
All bred in EI dosed tanks.

So I have no idea why folks toast their shrimp, but............I do know why they do NOT die..........it's definitely not the ferts.

1001 ways to kill shrimp after all

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to dose 1/16 a teaspoon of Kno3, 1/32 of potassium phosphate, and potassium sulfate... I dont dose plantex as there is copper? my co2 is measured by a drop checker... with a bps of 1 its a 10 gal tank. and i am trying to dose macros 2x a week. would that been enough...

I know some had great success in keeping shrimps with EI dosing... i have just recovered from saving some shrimps from dying off so im just kinda on the cautious side of dosing... but i might slowly start dosing to see how they tolerate...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Flourish comprehensive has 0.01% copper in it. I would imagine other comprehensive ferts are the same. If you dose by the directions on the bottle, you would be dosing approximately 1/100th of a milliliter of copper in your 10 gallon tank.

I highly doubt this amount of copper would harm shrimp in the least. Did you know shrimp use copper for blood circulation in the same way that humans use iron/hemoglobin? They need a small amount of copper, but large amounts are toxic.

So much misinformation out there about copper and shrimp...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.