The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago, I started using EI with a liquid mix approach, and wanted to get a second (or third) opinion on the amounts and method I am using.

The tank is a 75 gal, with mainly crypts, some java fern (narrow, windelev, and normal), red lotus, and one e tennelis sword just hanging on. Lighting is a fishneedit T5 fixture with a pair of 54 watt bulbs roughly 6 inches over the tank. It has CO2 via a reactor in line with the eheim 2028 filter. Substrate is aquarium gravel with laterite, and root tabs.

In early August/Late July, there was a huge bloom of BBA, which turned out to be low CO2, which I have since increased, and subsequently seen a drastic reduction in the BBA. The next thing was a bloom of BGA which covered everything on the left side of the tank (end of tank away from filter return). At that time, I was just using Flourish once per week. After doing some research on the BGA and the growth in the tank, it sounded like two main issues were lack of iron and nitrate. This brought me to EI.

I measured out the following amount of ingredients, then added water so that it provided 4 weeks worth of doses.

daily -
1/4 Tsp KNO3
1/16 Tsp KH2PO4
1/16 Tsp K2SO4

Based on 3 doses per week I came up with the following:
3 Tsp KNO3
3/4 Tsp KH2PO4
3/4 Tsp K2SO4

I then added enough water to make a 12oz solution, of which 1 oz is dosed Sun, Tues, Thurs. On Mon, Wed, Fri, I am adding a capful of florish, and florish iron.

In the 2 1/2 weeks since this started, the BGA is significantly reduced, there does not seem to be any new growth in the BBA, and some of the plants are starting to grow again. However, the Rotala is still sending out stunted leaves. The Red Lotus are sending up new leaves daily.

Some Pics (lousy) taken just prior to starting EI.
Left Side:


Center:


Right Side:



It feels like the tank is going in the right direction, but I'd appreciate any advice that one might have.

Thanks

nodima
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,221 Posts
Glad the fertz are helping. Agree it would be great if you took a series of photos showing improvement.

If your mix is intended to last a month you are way under dosing EI for a 75 gallon tank. If it is working for you fine but you might consider making your solution a bit richer next time you mix it up.
Straight from the thread. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html
60~80gal
50% H20 change-weekly
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week

Should be 9 tsp of KNO3 and 2.25 tsp of KH2PO4 in one bottle and and 2.25 tsp of trace in another bottle. Phosphate and iron form an insoluble salt that keeps the plant from being able to use it so don't mix the two together and dose them on alternating days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and info - not sure how/why I ended up with the amounts I did - must have somehow found the 20-40 gal mix and was confused. Easy enough to add more in the next mix.

Things seem slightly better, and I will break out the camera later tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do about some new pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is an updated set of tank pictures

Left Side


Center


Right Side


"Full" Tank


What I am noticing is that while the BGA is not gone, it is slowed down considerably. Definitely seeing some growth on the stems in the middle, and maybe on the far right plant. The Red Lotus are growing rapidly as well.

After previewing, I realize that I really need to learn how to take pictures! The Bolivian Rams are leaving trails across the tank. It is definitely me, as the camera is a Canon Digital SLR which should be more than enough.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top