The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pirated these posts from other lighting threads on Ehiem PowerLEDs. I'm trying to determine the approximate PAR values for my 20H set up. The lamps are on separate fixtures placed 12" apart. Each lamp is 1.5" above the water surface, 14.5" from the lowest substrate section (along the tank front) and 12" from the highest points (both rear corners).

Hi all,

I just got Hoppy's PAR meter, so I would like to share some readings from my 9 gallon Aquastyle shrimp cube tank (12"x12"x14")

From substrate to the top it's 13" of water column.
I have two lights over the tank, got the extra one on line ($85).
Lights are 1.5" above the water.

Readings:

at the bottom (13.5" from the light) I got 55 PAR
midway - 85
just bellow the light - 300

Cheers.
Denis

With my set-up, the lamps are 12" apart and with Krakonosh's tank, the lamps are less than 6" apart.

I recently added a second pod to an eheim aquastyle. I realize that this by itself wouldn't do much because the power source is a constant current with a parallel wiring.

I am trying out a variable power supply but thinking that parallel LEDs might be a huge pain. Temp variations and such will vary the electrical characteristics and change the current through each pod. Any ideas or should I ditch this altogether?
With this dual lamp set up, as I understand it, the output by each lamp is reduced. The amount of reduction is not known but the PAR readings for Krakonosh's tank are representitive for this type of output reduced set-up.

I know we are making alot of assumptions but, without a PAR meter, is it possible to make a determination if the PAR values at the substrate level are above 50 with my (2) single lamp set-up? :bounce:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't the distance to your substrate the same? If it is or close to, I would assume close to the same reading.
You would think that but, that is probably not the case, With my 20H, the tank footprint is 12"x24". That's like placing 2 Aquastyle tanks side by side. The PAR values for krakonosh's tank is skewed because, 2 lamps are on the same fixture & power supply. The output for each lamp is diminished because they are drawing from the same limiting source but because they are so close together, the combined output should be greater than the output of a single lamp on a single fixture/power supply.

What I need is the PAR values for 9 gal Aquastyle that is used a single lamp and the distance to the substrate @ about 14". Any Aquastyle owners out there w/PAR meter? Mahalo in advance!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I guess the bigger question is are you growing what you want to grow at your substrate? If it is as high are you already enriching with CO2? IMO, PAR readings don't do a lot for you other than you "know" the value. If I am already doing all that is necessary for higher readings the actual number doesn't matter and especially doesn't if I am already growing what I had planned to.

Using my PAR meter has only enabled me to adjust down my light. I was already doing everything I could.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the bigger question is are you growing what you want to grow at your substrate? If it is as high are you already enriching with CO2? IMO, PAR readings don't do a lot for you other than you "know" the value. If I am already doing all that is necessary for higher readings the actual number doesn't matter and especially doesn't if I am already growing what I had planned to.

Using my PAR meter has only enabled me to adjust down my light. I was already doing everything I could.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk
I'm starting a new project with this 20H where I'm trying to start a Glosso carpet. The original use for the PowerLEDs were over a 60P with an HC carpet. Two single lamps on two fixtures. Growth was minimal until I changed fixtures. I moved the lamps over a 30cm cube with both lamps on the same fixture. Great for java fern & Hydrocotyle but not enough for reaching HC.

I'm hoping that the Glosso requirements are being met by this set up. From my understanding, Glosso needs medium-high PAR values >50-60. I'm dosing daily w/Excel to fulfill the carbon requirement. Just need to know if I'm in the ballpark? :bounce:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may be in the ballpark. A little over a week now and the Glosso growth is not reaching up. It's not horizontal either but, continous trimming should help with that. Currently the lighting is on 8 hrs total (3hrs on/7hrs off/5hrs on/9hrs off). Algae growth so far, has not been apparent. :bounce:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.