The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an Evolve4 a little while ago on clearance... Hate it ... Already looking for its replacement and was curious about the varying sizes of Ehiem Aquastyle. Specifically if the stock lights are adequate for medium light plants, and if the stock filter is mild enough for a betta without being moded

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just placed an order for the Ehiem Aquastyle 6 gallon (i think there's still a good sale going on at petsmart 20% off). They have one in use at my LFS for crystal shrimps with a fairly good selection of shrimp friendly plants. I can give more details once mine arrives, but it seemed fairly mild. Sorry I'm not more help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Eheim Aquastyle is a quality kit tank. If you are familiar with the Fluval Flora or Fluval Ebi, you will notice that the Aquastyle is a step up in quality. The filter is as solid as they come when compared to other internal filters. I have the 9 gallon but the light would probably do a better job of growing low to medium light plants on the 6 gallon model.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just placed an order for the Ehiem Aquastyle 6 gallon (i think there's still a good sale going on at petsmart 20% off). They have one in use at my LFS for crystal shrimps with a fairly good selection of shrimp friendly plants. I can give more details once mine arrives, but it seemed fairly mild. Sorry I'm not more help.
Ok I'd love to hear back from you after its been set up for a while, or if you plan to make a journal in the "tank journals" section I'll watch for details there.

Eheim Aquastyle is a quality kit tank. If you are familiar with the Fluval Flora or Fluval Ebi, you will notice that the Aquastyle is a step up in quality. The filter is as solid as they come when compared to other internal filters. I have the 9 gallon but the light would probably do a better job of growing low to medium light plants on the 6 gallon model.
I have had no experince with any Fluval products yet. I only bought the Evolve as a random impulse since it was less than half (might have even been 1/3rd) full price. It is my first "tank kit" the cycled tank I have was a hand-me-down buts its of the more traditional style you could say? Larger, hob filter, large bulk hood with lights deal.
So if I understand right you are saying about the Ehiem tank, the filter is a good quality -will clean- filter but not over powered -will wear a betta out pushing it around- and the light is better suited for the shallower depthed models?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The filter is not particularly strong, and because it is an adjustable media filter you could even reduce it a bit if you wanted to reduce it. The filter is a "lift and spill" type filter, so you don't get a lot of current. I have green temple in my tank, a fairly leafy plant and it barely moves despite being right next to the filter. Maybe some light fluttering of the leaves, but it isn't swaying in the breeze.

The light is decent, but not intensely strong. You can probably grow anything you want, just not at a particularly insane rate. That might be a good thing for a nano-tank.

The one thing that I think you might find is that the top glass is nice, but you may want to take it off. The light glare off of the glass can be bright and it gets worse with condensation. I can't have it next to my desk without it slightly bothering me

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The filter is not particularly strong, and because it is an adjustable media filter you could even reduce it a bit if you wanted to reduce it. The filter is a "lift and spill" type filter, so you don't get a lot of current. I have green temple in my tank, a fairly leafy plant and it barely moves despite being right next to the filter. Maybe some light fluttering of the leaves, but it isn't swaying in the breeze.

The light is decent, but not intensely strong. You can probably grow anything you want, just not at a particularly insane rate. That might be a good thing for a nano-tank.

The one thing that I think you might find is that the top glass is nice, but you may want to take it off. The light glare off of the glass can be bright and it gets worse with condensation. I can't have it next to my desk without it slightly bothering me
I would not go high tech/light with it, if I got it, but rather say with medium light range plants. My biggest concern would be the filter since betta (my intended resident) can be very sensitive to lots of water movement especially since they like to spend a lot of time at the surface as labyrinth breathers/bubble nesters.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I bought an Evolve4 a little while ago on clearance... Hate it ... Already looking for its replacement and was curious about the varying sizes of Ehiem Aquastyle. Specifically if the stock lights are adequate for medium light plants, and if the stock filter is mild enough for a betta without being moded
I have the Eheim Aquastyle 9. Shrimp tank. The stock light grows gorgeous moss and java fern, crypts, it is even grown dwarf hair grass. I do not use CO2 so growth for things like the DHG is slow, but very steady.

The filter has kept up, however, it isn't customizable, no way to add something like Purigen to it, and very gentle and small. I added a small HOB filter to the tank because I'm keeping shrimp and wanted that water SPARKLING. The filter that came with it was adequate, and would have kept up with a betta just fine or a couple tetras. But I'm a new shrimp keeper and so I'm going overboard to be safe. ;)

I'm very happy with the Eheim, has been the easiest and best looking tank I've ever kept. It is algae free (that light seems to set a real sweet spot), healthy, just awesome. I would love a couple more of them, but they ARE expensive.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I really enjoy the Aquastyle tanks. They are great starter kits that you could actually grow plants in without any additional light or co2. Just make sure that you select the proper plants for your tank and they should do fine. I house mainly bettas in my tanks so it shouldnt be a problem. I have a few threads that I havent updated in a while but hope that it helps.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=215082&highlight=
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=214842&highlight=
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=215042&highlight=

·
Registered
485 Posts
I like my Aquastyle 6 very much. The light grows pretty much everything for me. My one gripe is how prominent the filter is. If you take the filter out, you lose the light, and it would have made more sense to just buy everything separately.

Knowing what I know now, I would buy separate pieces, but it is still a very good kit. I learned a lot with it about my likes and dislikes.

One point I forgot is that you get a ton of distortion from the curved corners on the front.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thank you all for your feedback, I'm still debating if Id'd want a kit, or seperate parts.. If I do the latter I think I'd like to build the tank from scratch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.