The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I would recommend 2 filters for a tank of that size if your using cannisters. Could also use an overflow and a sump. A pair of Fluval 405s, Eheim 2217s, or Rena XP4s would be the minimum I would use. I personally use a pair of Eheim 2262s but Fluval FX5s would work as well. They are all good filters and all have pros and cons, it will always come down to personal preference.

Craig

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Yup, its like asking what kind of car to buy and you'll get Ford, GM, Toyota, etc, etc, etc. They all have their pros and cons and supporters and haters. lol.

I agree though for a 150 gal, 2 filters is nice to position at either end of the tank. All my tanks have 2 filters, even if its just a sponge filter and a HOB filter. I try and stagger the cleanings so 1 always stays in the tank and 1 gets cleaned. The other advantage is that if one dies on you late at night, you're not going to be without filtration until you can get another one.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
150 is a big tank. FX 5ay be big enough to so the job, but if you are going to be heavily planted or have a lot of hardscape, you may find flow across the tank better with two filters. With a single you'll have to have supplementary flow from circulation accessories anyway.

As others have said, lot of personal preference in these responses. You also gave to consider budget. Eheims are great, the Pro 3s are a personal favorite, but two will be expensive.

Two Rena XP3 or 4s, maybe two SunSuns would be less expensive options. FX5 with Koralias or something as well.

So you have to consider your own preferences and situation. Budget is a big one. Patience for little niggles, sound level, etc... These parameters will yield different recommendations.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Boo fluval. I've had many problems with mine over the years, many problems. So i've now switched to eheims.
Smart man/woman.

For a 150g I would go with 2 2262's. Wont be cheap but you will be covered for filtration and bio needs and will probably only need to clean one filter every 8-12 months, depending on stocking.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Cleaning aside, the issue you should be most concerned with is circulation. Keeping water moving, both around the tank and through the filter, is what is important. I can't help you with which canister(s) to purchase, but I can tell you that as long as you have *enough* filtration, it doesn't matter if you have one filter or two. You can split the intake and outflow to mimic the function of two canisters, if you'd like. If you can find a canister powerful enough for your taste (one FX5 perhaps?), you can use a tee at both the intake and outflow, at two ends of the tank.

What I'm saying is that if you decide you don't need the power or filtration of more than one canister, water flow doesn't have to be an issue. Although the cost of the extra tubing, splitters, spraybar, and prefilter may be enough to convince you to purchase an extra canister with all the trimmings. Your call.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like that idea an fx 5 is rated for 400 gals so spitting it would still have enough power for 200 an intake stronger than a single 405 good idea Thanks ill look into it futher As far as dough goes when i decided to go with a 150 I new it was going to be $$$$$$ oh well its a hobby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.