The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've noticed that the tank seemed warm to the touch. Finally checked it out and it was up to 90°F. I got the Eheim to help prevent this sort of thing. It was set to 80°F, but has slowly creeped up. Don't trust it anymore. Fish are fine, but I'll have to get a replacement and a second fail safe temperature regulating system.

It's my 45gal tall tank with Roselines and a pleco. Any suggestions?

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
That's why I always advocate two heaters at half the wattage required each.

Reactions: Bushkill and Leeatl

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The preferred way would be to get both good heater and temp controller and set the heater just a little higher than the temp controller. Heater thermostat won't wear out and it will be the fail safe if the temp controller goes out.

What are some good brands of each?

·
Registered
167 Posts
We've noticed that the tank seemed warm to the touch. Finally checked it out and it was up to 90°F. I got the Eheim to help prevent this sort of thing. It was set to 80°F, but has slowly creeped up. Don't trust it anymore. Fish are fine, but I'll have to get a replacement and a second fail safe temperature regulating system.

It's my 45gal tall tank with Roselines and a pleco. Any suggestions?
Have you tried checking the calibration? I accidentally moved the red ring on mine instead of the black part and it threw my calibration off. Luckily I did it when adding a temp controller, so I still haven't calibrated it yet. I'm going to take it out and set it in a 5 gallon bucket, then turn the red dial to whatever temp I get.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't touched the heater in over a year. It just started going South on me. I think it has a bi-metal thermostat element and not the newer digital or electronic control. I'll take it out and see what happens when I lower it 5°F. Then I'll watch it like a hawk.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Have you tried checking the calibration? I accidentally moved the red ring on mine instead of the black part and it threw my calibration off. Luckily I did it when adding a temp controller, so I still haven't calibrated it yet. I'm going to take it out and set it in a 5 gallon bucket, then turn the red dial to whatever temp I get.
You know, I don't think I've ever run into a heater that's so hard to adjust. It's like they set it the temp they want it and you're supposed to leave it RIGHT THERE no matter what. I half suspect all of mine (several are actually the relabeled ones for National Geographic) have gotten that ring moved by accident.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I highly favor the small digital temperature controller for several reasons. They are cheap and I can do the mods they need. The second thermostat gives me excellent protection when things fail. I expect all electro-mechanical things to fail at some point. Especially true that we have moved so many things over to using small delicate chips.
The second point that I really like most is that it has a temp readout that I can see from across the room. When I get within sight of the tank, I check the temp just because it only takes a glance. That means if it ever goes more than a .5 or so from normal, I wonder why. The biggest point on keeping fish well is not letting trouble get too far off before fixing things. Like a stuck heater?

This is the best $15 stress remover I've found. Setting there on my canopy, It makes me happy every time I walk by the tank.
0:)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ehiem heaters are not what they used to be. I think they have succumbed to the quality of outsourcing like everyone else!
I bought two Ehiems last year for the same reasons, reputation...Well they were two for two BAD!

Seems to me that all heaters in the aquarium trade tend to be subpar.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ehiem heaters are not what they used to be. I think they have succumbed to the quality of outsourcing like everyone else!
I bought two Ehiems last year for the same reasons, reputation...Well they were two for two BAD!

Seems to me that all heaters in the aquarium trade tend to be subpar.
Hate to say it, but I think you're dead right here.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mine Eheim heater tried to kill my fish too. It got my tank around 38 Celsius, everybody survived, but it was scary. Now I own some noname heater, but waaay too weak for my tank. It needs more time to heat it to the right temp, but it's safer. I recommend really weak heaters (mine is 100 W for 345 litres tank).

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Mine Eheim heater tried to kill my fish too. It got my tank around 38 Celsius, everybody survived, but it was scary. Now I own some noname heater, but waaay too weak for my tank. It needs more time to heat it to the right temp, but it's safer. I recommend really weak heaters (mine is 100 W for 345 litres tank).
Actually, it's been recommended here on several occasions to use two "under-watted" heaters. With the price of heaters, that may or may not be a possibility for all, I certainly acknowledge that.

In the event of a failure in either direction, you run less of a risk of a melt-down or freeze-over. Yes if both heaters fail in the same direction at the same time, you should be careful crossing the street.

There aren't very many things in this hobby that enjoy what we would all see as the optimal lifespan: forever. But nothing does, and it seems even these heaters have joined the ranks of the unreliable from recent reports. Sad.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Actually, it's been recommended here on several occasions to use two "under-watted" heaters. With the price of heaters, that may or may not be a possibility for all, I certainly acknowledge that.

In the event of a failure in either direction, you run less of a risk of a melt-down or freeze-over. Yes if both heaters fail in the same direction at the same time, you should be careful crossing the street.

There aren't very many things in this hobby that enjoy what we would all see as the optimal lifespan: forever. But nothing does, and it seems even these heaters have joined the ranks of the unreliable from recent reports. Sad.
I'm using only one under-watted, because without a heater temp never goes down under 22-23 Celsius, so I'm not worried about freezing. Of course with cold room 2 will be needed, but the truth is, there is no need for some expensive ones, even Eheim heater can broke and do some harm (and my wasn't so old), so why not buy an no-name for nearly no money.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I go with under rated/ undersized heaters now for a couple reasons that I've experienced. Many of us have been through storms where the tank temperature goes down for a while. Sometimes it has been quite cold. And in many cases the fish show no sign of trauma or at most some develop some disease which we have to fight for a few weeks. This sounds bad but then compare it to what happens when a heater sticks on.
Much of the result depends on lots of variables like size of tank and what the room temperature may be but there seems to be much less hazard from cooling than from heating. A cool tank and the fish may get sick. A hot tank and they die! I assume that this is due to the warm water carries less O2 and lack of O2 brings death lots quicker than cool water or disease.
So prevention to me, makes me use a temperature controller but it also moves me to use the smallest heater wattage that I find can keep the tank warm during the normal use.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My fish will experience almost a 20°F temperature swing, but it will be over two days. Right now they don't need a heater as the average indoor temps are in the low 70s.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it got cold in the house and I noticed that the fish were kinda sluggish and not eating much. Tank was in the low 60s. Needed a replacement ASAP! So went down to PetSmart and the best bang for the buck deal was another 150W Ehiem heater for $33. Set it to 80°F and it hasn't budged from there since. Thinking of getting a digital temp controller just to be safe in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.