The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this surface skimmer? I find it's extremely effective but have been scratching my head as to how to prevent small fish from getting sucked in and getting stuck on the foam block. They don't get chopped up by an impeller but I recently lost an adult pygmy cory and a juvie because the foam block isn't submerged and they were just floundering there for a few hours. I find shrimp in there routinely too, but they seem to do ok in the semi-submerged state for a day. I've removed the skimmer for the time being.

I tried putting a circular SS mesh in the center hole to prevent fish from falling in, but surface tension from the water seems to greatly reduce the effectiveness of the skimmer.

Anyone run into the same problems/have a solution?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use another surface skimmer but I had the same problem.
Got it solved by inserting a sheet of plastic, folded into A-shape,
into the opening. To make it too small for the fish to enter.

For the Skim 350, I would make it look like this:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use a rubber band and cheap screen net fabric i buy from walmart.
i have one otto dead inside the eheim skim350 a while ago.
also have numerous encounter with ramhorn snail or MTS inside it, they seems like to gather on the sponge area due to collected debris by eheim.
so far so good ... will post if any issue with this approach.
Pardon for the crappy mobile phone picture ... also the debris as i just replant the tank.

skim-net-3.JPG

skim-net-4.JPG

skim-net-2.JPG

skim-net-1.JPG

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 3 of these little guys. I love them. 1 is in a 75 gallon planted tank runs all day and night. Nothing ever got stuck in it yet. The 2nd one is in my beta tank, it's a ten gallon. I run it on a timer for 10 mins in the morning and ten minutes at night. The 3rd one is in a eheim aquastyle 6 gallon. It's also on a timer runs 5 minutes in the morning, 5 in the afternoon and 5 at night. Nothing has ever gotten stuck inside them.

The mesh idea is a good idea though with the rubber band. I'm going to put that on the one in my 75 gallon tank.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 3 of these little guys. I love them. 1 is in a 75 gallon planted tank runs all day and night. Nothing ever got stuck in it yet. The 2nd one is in my beta tank, it's a ten gallon. I run it on a timer for 10 mins in the morning and ten minutes at night. The 3rd one is in a eheim aquastyle 6 gallon. It's also on a timer runs 5 minutes in the morning, 5 in the afternoon and 5 at night. Nothing has ever gotten stuck inside them.

The mesh idea is a good idea though with the rubber band. I'm going to put that on the one in my 75 gallon tank.
Ah ... i am wondering if i put it on timer on night time only to run for couple of hours for 75G, will that be enough to get rid of the surface skim. this will reduce maintenance on the skimmer.
At the moment for 24/7 operation, i have to clean the sponge every week during water change. This is due to all debris get sucked in as well as the snails as they like the debris collectors. Hopefully with the net this will change, as the floating dead plant material will not be sucked inside the skimmer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just lost two Galaxy Rasboras in my eheim 350 skimmer.
the mesh idea is great, I am going to try that or run it at night for a couple of hours.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I run mine on a timer, it runs for a total of twelve hours.. alternating one hour on one hour off all day. This allows shrimp a chance to swim out while the skimmer is off. I've also placed some filter foam inside the pump chamber to keep fish and shrimp from entering while the skimmer is off. I haven't had any livestock issues since I've been running it like this and the surface is crystal clear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just lost two Galaxy Rasboras in my eheim 350 skimmer.
the mesh idea is great, I am going to try that or run it at night for a couple of hours.
Hope the mesh can help ... i come across from the other forum that he put a window net with a glue surrounding the V hole on the side but not the whole head.
I am just lazy to find my glue gun, and have this left over net fabric laying around the tank. so i try with using rubber band to see if it still can float.
perhaps next improvement will be to look for black rubber band and black net so that is not too obvious with the green. And also as learn from zodduska, perhaps another screen net wrap on the ouput pipe if i put this on timer. Of course I will use another rubber band ...
With this cheap screen net and rubber band, if it get too dirty, i just tossed it away and replace.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The issue with any kind of mesh is that mesh fine enough to prevent tiny fish and shrimp from going in also impairs the function of the surface skimmer due to surface tension.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hah. I figured a thread like this existed somewhere. I foresaw the problem of various critters getting stuck in this filter and opted to make a screen insert.

Just a simple nylon screen-like fabric(very rigid) glued to a plastic ring. It might impair the skimming function some but I don't really mind. The snails in my tank tend to eat the film also, which is why I thought about this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I set the skimmer on the time clock so that it's on with an interval of 15 minutes.
If a fish or shrimp get caught in it, it is only trapped for 15 minutes. Then it has 15 minutes to get out before the skimmer starts again.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hah. I figured a thread like this existed somewhere. I foresaw the problem of various critters getting stuck in this filter and opted to make a screen insert.

Just a simple nylon screen-like fabric(very rigid) glued to a plastic ring. It might impair the skimming function some but I don't really mind. The snails in my tank tend to eat the film also, which is why I thought about this.
I have not had this problem with mine. Has been running 24/7 for a year. But if I did have a problem this is a very well executed way to prevent it. Nicely done

·
Registered
9 Posts
3d Printed Guard

Resurrecting an old thread.

I picked up a Skim 350, and it really made a big difference in my surface scum I've got it on a timer to only run at night to avoid off-gassing of CO2.

I 3d-printed a small guard to keep fish out... could go even finer, but I used 1 fin per gap. Happy to print these for anyone that has the same issue. PVT me.

Skim350Guard.PNG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts