The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 2080 is rated pretty high but most consider those ratings not to be accurate. So, what do you all think of how big a tank a 2080 can filter? I am debating on getting a 240G, will probably go sump with it but figured I'd ask about the pro3 anyhow. I'll also be setting up a 150g goldfish probably, but again, I might go sump with that too. Just curious what you all think about the 2080 since $330 isnt to bad IMO, but I could probably build a huge DIY sump for less.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
The 2080 is supposed to be rated for a 300 gal tank, but I like to overfiltrate. So the max tank size I would use with a 2080 would probably be a 150-180 gal.

I would go with both, the 2080 and a wet/dry with a sump in either case. Goldfish are big, fat, waste producers so it would be best to use 2 filters on the 150 gal tank you plan. The same filtration setup on the 240 as well. Wet/Dry filters with sumps can be as cheap as a tub or old tank with dividers glued in place with either aquarium silicone or aquarium epoxy. The only thing you can't really DIY is the overflow, unless you get a drilled tank.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2080 inna 210g w/ a 40g breeder for a sump. I was getting dead spots so I added a 2028 and also two power heads to stir up the bottom. I set the display up as a goldie tank with a dozen fairly large fish and they make a pretty big mess. This set up keeps the water very clear, especially for those messy goldies after they rearrange the bottom all day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts