The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying an Eheim Pro series filter < $250. I'm happy with my Ecco 2236's and 2217 but I just want to experience a Pro series. Life is too short:hihi:

The Pro II 2028 seems proven but it bugs me a little bit that (1) the 2028 doesn't have a pre-filter and (2) the 2028 needs mechs, which means that I can only effectively use 2 trays.

Should I go with a Pro 3 2073 although it's slightly more expensive?

I plan to use a Pro in a 40 gallon cichlid tank that I plan to set up sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I had a Pro 3 for a little while. I bought it "used"....not really sure of the circumstances, but the guy I bought it from used it for a few weeks, didn't think it provided enough flow for him, and couldn't return it....he put it on craigslist and after a bit of, ahem, negotiation, it was mine for $150.

It was nice, no doubt. I sold it a few weeks later for the same price I paid for it...too much flow for me. It was one of the big models, 2081 or something like that. It was pretty gigantic, didn't fit in any of my stands.

I had and continue to have the Pro II's.

If you can get a good deal on a Pro 3, the bells and whistles are kind of nice, but I wouldn't make too much more for one. If you can get the Pro 3 for under $250, it's probably worth it, unless you can likewise get a Pro 2 for under $150.

Does what I'm saying make any sense?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't really care about the bells and whistles but as for the Pro II's the lack of a pre-filter and the use of mechs in a 3 tray canister bug me. I can get a Pro 3 2073 around $210, so I'll go with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.