The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, my Eheim Pro 4+ 350 died. I came home from work last night and went to feed the fish. As I walk up to the tank I see a dead rummy and a dead harlequin tet. All the other fish look fine. Closer inspection reveals next to no flow out of my filter return pipes. Crap. CO2 has been running since noon (I know, another reason to use a controller).

OK, move forward. WC to bring in some O2 and time to clean the filter. Pull the filter apart, doesn't look all that bad, been worse. Do the PM on the filter, reassemble, put back in the stand, plug in the hoses. I don't hear the normal noise of the water rushing back into the filter. Hit the primer. Wooosh! There it goes. Plug it in and...

Nothing. Just a little faint impeller noise. Yank it back out, open it up. I find the check valve float is dislodged. OK. fixed. Back together, back in the stand and hooked up. Nothing. No amount of priming gets it going.

After 3 hours of farting with it I got enough flow to feel that tank is safe, but in order to do so I had to shut off one of the two returns. It's strange. If you unplug it and then plug it back in, you get a momentary strong burst of flow, then it settles down to about 1/4 of what it used to do. I don't think this thing is 4 years old. My first Eheim was a Pro II Thermo. It had most of the classsic Pro II troubles, that's why I got the Pro 4. Now that Eheim has zero customer service presence in the USA, I said, "No more Ehims for me". Ordered a Fluval 407 today. It's a little taller than the Eheim, but I don't think routing the hoses will be an issue. I jsut hope I didn;t go too big and a 307 would have been just as good for my 58. I went by comparing the GPH and recommended max tank size of the old Eheim Pro 4...

Since It won't arrive for a few days, I reinstalled an older Emperor HOB that I still had some sealed cartridges for. I figured it couldn't hurt.

So, overall, do you guys think I bought a good replacement?

Tommy

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,812 Posts
Just curious, did you pull the impeller out and clean it? I have a Eheim Pro 4 350 (actually 2) and they ahve been running for a couple of years. One of the things I have noticed is the impeller needs to be cleaned every 2-3 months to keep it running smoothly.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything is as clean as can be. It's been intermittanly making some muffled humming noises tonight. It's not the same as a rattling impeller that has air bubbles in it. I think it's just shot. I seem to recall reading something about the primer seal going bad on the Pro 4s and making the pump bypass internally. Still not gonna dig into it. Eheim has left the building here in the US.

Tommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts