The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just bought a second hand canister eheim 2075.
It started leaking from the top compartment.
I replaced all the sealing rubbers.
Now i have the issue that it’s almost impossible to prime and more intriguing: the pump starts and stops on it’s own with some rattling noise.
Anyone experienced something similar?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't have Eheim but sounds like impeller is shot.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You will need to open the canister and check both the impeller and the impeller shaft, my guess is maybe the impeller shaft is broken.

If you are new to canister filters, unplug the power cord, shut off the input/output valve so you can remove the hoses and take the filter to somewhere you don't want to get water everywhere and open it to work on it.

Do you have the owners manual for this filter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need to open the canister and check both the impeller and the impeller shaft, my guess is maybe the impeller shaft is broken.

If you are new to canister filters, unplug the power cord, shut off the input/output valve so you can remove the hoses and take the filter to somewhere you don't want to get water everywhere and open it to work on it.

Do you have the owners manual for this filter?
Hi, I already opened the canister. The impeller and the impeller shaft look fine.
For the stator part its sealed in a big junk of sealant. My fear is that there is a stator wire that burned inside the sealant and there is only 2 left operational. Resulting in a loss of power and desequilibrium .

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
What??!?! Dude impellers should be magnetic what are talking about wires? This must be a strange filter indeed.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@Nathanguy, I've never heard about the stator being a problem in aquarium filters but always a possibility. I've no experience with troubleshooting this but maybe someone with electrical experience may be able to point you in the correct direction for testing it.

@Lonestarbandit , the impeller would be considered the rotor and the stator would be the windings that would be hidden in the canister filter casing or head and not serviceable since they are epoxy filled or coated.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
@Nathanguy, I've never heard about the stator being a problem in aquarium filters but always a possibility. I've no experience with troubleshooting this but maybe someone with electrical experience may be able to point you in the correct direction for testing it.

@Lonestarbandit , the impeller would be considered the rotor and the stator would be the windings that would be hidden in the canister filter casing or head and not serviceable since they are epoxy filled or coated.
Thanks. Ex L3 aircraft electrician here. I am familiar. my point was you shouldn't have wiring exposed anywhere. Was just trying to keep it simple

Reactions: deeda

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@Nathanguy , is your filter 16 watts? The reason I ask is that I can compare the impedance of a similar size wattage filter here and see if it compares to yours if you have ohm meter handy.

Reactions: Leeatl

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@Nathanguy, excellent! What we did is test 3 models of the Eheim Classic series plug end with the ohm meter.

Eheim 2213 is 8 watts and reads approx. 178 ohms; Eheim 2215 is 15 watts and reads approx. 88 ohms and finally the Eheim 2217 is 20 watts and reads approx. 72 ohms.

All 3 filters have approx. the same length cord so that may factor in to the reading, not sure. The boyfriend says you should be pretty close to the 88 ohms or maybe a bit lower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@Nathanguy, excellent! What we did is test 3 models of the Eheim Classic series plug end with the ohm meter.

Eheim 2213 is 8 watts and reads approx. 178 ohms; Eheim 2215 is 15 watts and reads approx. 88 ohms and finally the Eheim 2217 is 20 watts and reads approx. 72 ohms.

All 3 filters have approx. the same length cord so that may factor in to the reading, not sure. The boyfriend says you should be pretty close to the 88 ohms or maybe a bit lower.
@deeda
Hi thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply, I live in Belgium.
I read:
437 Ohms on the 8 w
And 137 Ohms on the 16 w

note that the voltage here is 220w so it might explain the difference.
Normally P=(V^2)/R
Si in your case:
for the 15 watts = (110*110) /88=137
For the 8 w= (110*110)/ 178=67
And for me
For the 16 watts= (220*220)/137= 353
The 8 w= (220*220)/437= 110

well I am probably missing something here there are probably some relays and diodes that prevent to mesure the service impedance.
I will ask someone with the same filter on 220w to try the same method.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Easy way to check the stator. Remove head unit and turn upside down. Remove the impeller. Plug unit in and put a screwdriver in the hole. It should pull all around inside with equal force when moved. You should be able to find a weak area if it is bad.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
@Nathanguy , I'll have to wait for the boyfriend to come home to go over your numbers since your on 220V system.

Sounds as if @Somefishguy has an easier way to check!

@Nathanguy, did you check that the 2 impeller shaft bushings are in place the filter head? One should be in the center bottom of the impeller well and one should be in the center of the latch that holds the impeller shaft vertical.

Do you see any wear on the impeller magnet? If you can, post a pic of the impeller.

Also check the impeller well to see if it is still smooth on the inside. It's possible since this is a used filter, the previous owner may have had a broken impeller shaft or got some hard debris caught in there which damaged or cracked the inside of the impeller well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.