The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back from the dead. lol Now down to business. Yesterday I notice that my eheim 2215 was just barely had water trickling out of it. Being my birthday and having company I just unplugged it until today. So after taking it a part and cleaning everything, I now hear a loud knocking sound coming from it. Now it won't pump any water and it just knocks pretty bad. So can anyone tell me what's going on with it?

·
Registered
524 Posts
All valves are open, no blockages in the tubes? No pockets of air in the intake line? These are obvious ideas but sometimes it's the little things we miss.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was able to look at it fora few seconds ( I have a 15 month old) and one of the tube on the intake side of the filter was clogged. Freaking MTS! That got some bubbles pumping out and then it stopped again. I will be able to look at it some more tonight after the kids go to sleep.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
A knocking noise is not a sound I have ever heard from an Eheim filter.

If you also cleaned out the impeller well area, make sure you did not lose either of the two black rubber bushings that support the impeller shaft as that could be the cause of the sound you are hearing.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
MTS are wily little guys and have learned to crawl down the intake pipe and creep into the intake strainer so they really don't care how close to the substrate the intake is.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How close to the substrate is your filter intake? Wouldn't the filter medium prevent the filter from clogging (the medium would clog but the entire filter shouldn't).

Anyways, try putting your intake a bit higher.
My intake is not close to the substrate at all. But they appear to be getting in because I have the intake up against a piece of driftwood. They were not the only problem though. They clogged the tubing where I had put some connectors and some of the filter floss got wrapped around the impeller shaft. And I guess it just needed to be cleaned over all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.