The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that plants don't like too much flow since co2 escapes so canister filters are the way to go? Anyways, I was looking at an Eheim Classic for my 26 gallon tank. So....

Would having a filter that's rated for your tank size better for plants or having a filter that's overkill?

Should I go with the classic or a different model...? Never had a canister filter before so I'm not sure what the difference is between the different Eheim models...

Any ideas? Thank you...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I got a 2217 and a 2215 eheim in my 55g with a korilla power head. I think plants like flow and plus co2 circulation is a must. I let the power head ripple the surface to. The flow.around the plants also helps the algae not grow on plants.

This is what I found out so far.

Plantbrain uses wetdry filters on his tanks with great sucess.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like filter overkill...remember that when you put hardscape in and your plants start to fill in, that current gets cut back. You can always control current if it gets too much by directing the spraybars, but i find that isnt a problem ...for me at least. I use an Eheim Pro 3 on my 110...which is rated for an aquariums up to 320 gallons.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If you aren't injecting CO2, then surface turbulence causing offgassing shouldn't be something you even think about.

Surface turbulence may actually increase CO2 levels throughout the tank on a non-injected tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. So overkill it is. So the more flow the better but does that equate to lower nitrates and I'm guessing there should be less debris?

Also, I've heard of people getting specific filters that are able to inject co2 into the tank at the same time? If anyone knows about this method or set up can you please input? I'm a real newb to planted tanks if you haven't noticed yet.

·
Registered
480 Posts
They're not specific filters. Search for inline c02 reactors or venturi c02 reactor. They connect to your filter's return hose. They mix the c02 with the returning filter water. I bought one premade because i suck at DIY.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've come close! And I automatically control my c02 via a ph controller. I've come back into the room once to see my fish gasping for air at the surface and all my amano shrimp wiped out. You're doing the right thing by asking! This forum is a treasure trove of info. You sometime just need to do some searches and dig.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I think pH controllers are a waste of money but they can provide an extra bit of protection if used and kept calibrated on a regular basis. With a co2 system comprised of high quality equipment that is controlled by timers and a solenoid and is set up properly you should have no issues at all.

You can use your canister as a reactor where the co2 bubbles are put into the intake of the canister and are broken up and given time to dissolve in the water through their course traveling through the filter. I did this for years with a rena xp1 and an eheim 2213. Both worked very well and I never has any ill side effects.

I am about the biggest over filterer you will come across on this site. I have an eheim 2213 (rated for up to a 66g tank) on a 5.5g tank and a 2217 (rated up to a 159g tank) on a 17g tank. The manufacturers ratings are massively optimistic.

For a 26g tank a 2217 would be optimal but a 2215 would suffice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.