The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
As for me personally, i have used 3 of the 2236 for 3 +years in the past when they first came out & was happy with them, my only issue was the little plastic handle Connectors
Eheim Handle Connectors for Ecco Canister Filters - 2 pk
can easily broken if the closing of the handle is not properly aligned, outside of that they worked great for the properly sized aquarium.
Presently run a 2236 on a 17 gallon tank with inline Hydor ETH heater & inline co2 reactor & works great for me.
Regards

·
Registered
58 Posts
my only issue was the little plastic handle Connectors
Yeah. Been there. Done that. :frown2: Glad it was a cheap fix.

My other problem, though, actually led to burning out the pump motor, and there is no cheap fix for that. :|

I learned, by not doing (Bummer!), that I can't ignore a tank so long that the filter intake gets completely jammed with debris, leading to a dry pump. As far as I can find out, Eheim has no overheating protection on any of their filters, except that they stop running when you run it dry so long that it Melts Down. Blerg.

Still, though, I consider them the best on the market anywhere near their price point and replaced the dead unit with a new, identical filter from Eheim.

Here's a shot from a 20 gallon long that I used this filter on:

20 Gallon Long Planted Aquarium
by Chris Noto, on Flickr

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm not wild about the Ecco line. I prefer other Eheims. The Eccos are a little more affordable, but seem to me to get clogged more easily and lose their flow. The handle breaking happened to me, too.

I've got a 2234 on a 29 gallon tank and it's fine, but I doubt I'll get another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.