The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have to say with all the hype I have read on forums, I am very disappointed with eheim. I ordered 3 eheim 2215s (1 for a fellow hobbyist) and they were the poorest packed anything I have ever opened. I cannot believe the way they packed those filters in the box. One of the inlet j-tubes was snapped off on one and 3 of the clips were off the pump head of another (clip pins are nowhere to be found in the box). The online retailer is making it right but I am very disappointed with eheim, first their heaters.....now this. Should have paid the extra $ for more Fluvals.........DC

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Not to differ with you DC, but I love my new little 2232 Ecco. Neat little filter with plenty of juice for a 20-30 gallon with adjustable flow, well designed basket with media, and self priming. I do agree the packaging on the boxes is kind of skimpy.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've ordered several Eheims and never experienced any problems. Did you order these directly from Eheim, or an online retailer like Bigal's or Drsfoster & smith? If it's some online vender (not Eheim), than it would be faulty packaging on their part, not Eheims. In any case, don't give up on them. They are very reliable and quiet. By far the best filters I've owned.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Really more of a packing issue. I own a Fluval 304, Ehiem 2215 and a Rena XP1. My favorite is the Rena, easy to clean, powerful, and quiet. Then the Fluval, powerful, fairly quiet, PITA to clean. Followed by the Ehiem in a close second, weak, PITA to clean, but it is very quiet. Im not impressed by the Eheim model that I have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bigals is the worst in packaging.

I have never received a shipment from them that was not in a banged up half open box !

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Bigals is the worst in packaging.

I have never received a shipment from them that was not in a banged up half open box !
I second this. And they usually re-use (a good thing I suppose) M&M candy boxes or such. I can just visualize the Big Al employee going to the local grocery store looking for candidates.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i would also agree that it was probably poor shipping. I bought my Eheim Pro II 2128 from Dr.Fosters a couple years ago. I later purchased an Eheim Ecco 2236 from them also (I think) or maybe from Big Al's. I later bought 2 Eheim Ecco 2234's from Big Al's.

I can't remember how they were packaged, but I don't think it was that bad, otherwise, I would have remembered.

I, too, love my Eheims, though I love the Eccos more. I love the handles, since it serves as a carrying handle, priming handle, and shut-off handle in one.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know y'all love your eheims but it was not bad luck or the online retailer that is at fault, here are some pics:

Big Al's shipped all three, as you can see the filter was completely surrounded by air pillows in the box. Box was not damaged one bit.

This flimsy piece of cardboard was the only thing securing the filter inside the box (all 3 filters). Notice the inlet j-tube snapped off, no protection whatsoever offered for the inlet j-tube in any of the 3 boxes.

This is how the filter was in the box.

See the loose items in the bottom of the box, all three boxes had items floating around unsecured. See the box dinged up? This filter rode around with one rubber foot installed, see below for more info on my recent rubber foot discovery while fit checking the filters in my stand.

Did you notice the clip in the bottom of the box? The filter head is missing 2 clips and the pins are nowhere to be found.

I see mounts for 5 rubber feet on each filter. How come there was only 3 feet in each box?

This is pathetic packaging, I think is is completely obvious whom is at fault here! I guess the recent invention of bubble wrap hasn't made it across the right pond yet. In case you are wondering if this was a return, it wasn't, no difference with the way all three filters were sealed and packaged. What is really stupid; the inlet j-tube is screwed into the filter, user can install it. These filters better perform AT LEAST as good as my Fluvals, so far I am not happy playing the waiting game for a new filter to show up.......DC

·
Registered
39 Posts
DC,

It looks like your filter took a beating before you got it. The rough handling either occured between you and the online retailer or between the online retailer and thier supplier.

Just as you will be returning the damaged product to your online retailer, so will the online retailer return it to thier supplier (we should hope!) and the supplier to Eheim. In the end, Eheim makes no money on that filter.

Regardless of what you think about Eheim, they are a company that relies on shipping products and not replacing a large percentage of the product they ship because of poor package design. So while the packaging clearly was insufficient to keep 'your' filter from being damaged before you opened the box, I suspect that a large majority of Eheim filters arrive in good shape.

I don't know if Eheim is better than Fluval is better than Rena...I have never tried the other filters. I you feel the way the filter was packaged has a direct bearing on the quality Eheim's products, then I would return them all and get a brand that you have more confidence in. I am sure the retailer would be willing to take the Eheim filters back and sell you a different brand because of this experience.

If you keep the Eheim filters and something goes wrong with them in the future...you'll regret not returning them when you had the chance.

Brian

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Never, ever had a problem.

Blaming Eheim for damage that could have occurred during shipping or by some doofus chucking boxes around a warehouse doesn't make much sense.

Question. Did you assemble the filter at all or are those pictures as you opened up the package?

Mike

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't forget all 3 filters missing parts, i.e., rubber feet and the missing clip pins on one of the filters? That is nothing more than poor quality control from the manufacturer (or whomever they contracted to package their product). Package design is all about predicting the enviroment the product will be subjected to and eliminating or at least minimizing damage. As far as performance, that is yet to be seen by me; I will be sure to comment on the performance of the 2215s when I get the tank back up and running. I am looking forward to using these filters to supplement my sump and believe they will enhance the filtration and take the water quality to a new level. However, since the reputation of eheim is superior engineering and performance, I never envisioned I would find the most basic packaging needs lacking and I find that totally unacceptable considering the simple measures that could have prevented damage.....DC

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
DC....

Take a second to answer my question. Did you assemble the filter in any way or were the photos taken right after you took the filter out of the box.

Reason I ask? There is the possibility the filter was a return from someone else. It could have been broken by the previous purchaser, unscrupulously returned, and sent out again in damaged condition.

Add in your comments about missing parts and I am really beginning to wonder.

There are so many responses to your situation to the contrary. I don't doubt your trouble, but I really think inditing a company your one bad/questionable experience seems like a lot. ESPECIALLY when you consider all the hands the product passed through before it reached you. It would make more sense to me if you called out the company you purchased the filter from than the company that manufactured it, Particularly with all the contrary experiences that have already been mentioned.

Mike

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never, ever had a problem.

Blaming Eheim for damage that could have occurred during shipping or by some doofus chucking boxes around a warehouse doesn't make much sense.

Question. Did you assemble the filter at all or are those pictures as you opened up the package?

Mike
The damage did occur during shipping. I find it unlikely that a "doofus" was involved as I work in that industry, they usually kill themselves off. Even if a "doofus" was invoilved, the same "doofus" sent my Fluvals damage free with all parts intact. My point is, the filter was improperly packaged. Look where the damage is, at the bottom of the filter. See any type of protective devices on the bottom of the filter? That inlet j-tube is very fragile, if the bottom of the filter shifts, it will break. This filter was obviously imbalanced (only one rubber foot installed). Simple precautions would have prevented the damage, i.e., the inlet j-tube installed by the user (it screws in), bubble wrap or styrofoam locking the bottom of the filter like they did the top with cardboard. The filter was not assembled, the pics were taken after so many posts were trying to blame the retailer and shipper. The filter was packaged well by Big Als and the box was not damaged by UPS. I can assure you it was not the retailer or the shipping company. How about we drop that issue, pictures are obvious. Any comments on the missing parts? Everyone seems to be ignoring that. Could not be Big Als or UPS here, the boxes were still sealed, unless there is a conspiracy to discredit eheim and someone opened and resealed them after removing the needed parts. Seems to me a filter with provisions for 5 rubber feet would include 5 rubber feet, then why did the boxes only contain 3? How did the clips come off the case and the pins disappear? These are still unsolved mysteries. Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a *bat* gets all of my press? This town needs an enema!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I ordered a few eheims recently and a uv filter from a big online retailer... all the ehiems arrived safe and sound. The uv filter was another story. box was beat up and the inner glass was shattered. I blame the shipper for this. It also reminds me of the lily pipes delivered by ups. The box had a huge crease in it, of course the pipes were broken.

Hopefully your ehiem serve you well

Cheers, Whitepine

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.