The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stalking around the forums getting my equipment list set up for my new mr aqua 12g long and i've got everything settled except for this.

I see that most of the people that have these tanks set up are using eheim canister filters and i'm wondering what the pros and cons of these two models are.

anyone like one over the other? is there much of difference that i'm going to notice? the classic is 25$ cheaper i'm looking at the 40g version because i can't find anything smaller, and the 35g version of the ecco pro.

opinions/recommendations appreciated!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I prefer the classic filters, simpler operation and I think they are more durable as well. The quick connects on the lid of the ecco pro have leak issues for some people.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the classic filters, simpler operation and I think they are more durable as well. The quick connects on the lid of the ecco pro have leak issues for some people.
thanks. simple, durable, and effective is exactly what i'm looking for. leaks...no so much lol.

Thanks for the link Jack. I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. what a win! barca only 1 point off 1st place now :icon_mrgr

When I was researching filters it seemed like most people love the classic so that's what I got. I put my bio media in a mesh laundry bag fir easier cleaning. Runs well & I would buy one again if the need arises.
thanks for the tip. the classic do not have any chambers to hold media correct? the mesh bag sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks for the link Jack. I was on the edge of my seat the whole game. what a win! barca only 1 point off 1st place now :icon_mrgr
I watched with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, both of whom were rooting for Ronaldo - it was great fun. :) I actually root for RM when they're not playing Barca as I'm a huge Bale fan watching him for years with Tottenham (as well as Modric). How can you root against Messi, though? True class.

Oh, btw, I much prefer the Eheim Classics. Have a couple 2215's and a 2213 now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I watched with my mother-in-law and sister-in-law, both of whom were rooting for Ronaldo - it was great fun. :) I actually root for RM when they're not playing Barca as I'm a huge Bale fan watching him for years with Tottenham (as well as Modric). How can you root against Messi, though? True class.

Oh, btw, I much prefer the Eheim Classics. Have a couple 2215's and a 2213 now.
i watch with my dad who is also a RM fan, it can be pretty brutal sometimes. plenty of arguing, especially when it comes down to messi vs ronaldo haha. but i'm the same way, especially in champions league, if barca are out, i'll normally cheer on RM so long as my other teams aren't still in (Francesco Totti & AS Roma on a roll in the italian serie A this year). Bale and Modric are great, but i still think we'll see the best of Bale after he settles in a bit more. Same with Neymar (and he needs to stop the theatrics).

Messi is all class. La Pulga!

I also have a 2215, and it is solid.
la pulga! haha, forca barca!

thanks for your opinions guys, looks like i'll be sticking with the old school classic. now just to decide on the size? how is the flow? i'd rather not put an extra powerhead in the 12 long so I want something that will be able to produce enough flow across the 3ft span of the tank

·
Registered
301 Posts
Lots of folks like the classic, but I went with an Ecco Pro and absolutely love it (for my office aquarium). Primed right away, hook ups are easy, lots of media. I've had no issues with it. For my home tank I went with a Pro 3 E and it is perhaps the easiest filter I've ever had. I stayed away from a classic cause the other canister I use is a Magnum 350, which can be a hassle comparatively and I equated a classic to the Magnum on the basis of the "PIA" factor.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've got both. I find the ecco cheaply made compared to the classic. The swivel handle and lock on the pump head can be easily broken, and the plastic double taps aren't as sturdy as the classic's. I also found the flow well under powered even on the largest ecco model - 2236. For me it just doesn't measure up to the classic, problably because you're getting the savings in electricity consumption. I prefer the classic line for performance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of folks like the classic, but I went with an Ecco Pro and absolutely love it (for my office aquarium). Primed right away, hook ups are easy, lots of media. I've had no issues with it. For my home tank I went with a Pro 3 E and it is perhaps the easiest filter I've ever had. I stayed away from a classic cause the other canister I use is a Magnum 350, which can be a hassle comparatively and I equated a classic to the Magnum on the basis of the "PIA" factor.
i can see why the classic could potentially be more of a pain than the ecco, but i figure as long as i contain the media in something easy to pull out of the filter, i can get by.

I've got both. I find the ecco cheaply made compared to the classic. The swivel handle and lock on the pump head can be easily broken, and the plastic double taps aren't as sturdy as the classic's. I also found the flow well under powered even on the largest ecco model - 2236. For me it just doesn't measure up to the classic, problably because you're getting the savings in electricity consumption. I prefer the classic line for performance.
durability is important to me, but the fact that youre saying the flow on the largest ecco model is under powered is a big selling point for the classic in my case. flow is really the biggest factor for me here. i'd really prefer not to install a powerhead, i want as little as possible in the tank.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well the 2074 is actually the smallest of the pro 3 e line. I knew I'd be running 2 canisters and didn't want a huge battleship filter under the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts